• Register Today It's free!

Rust Free 2nd Gen Explorer

shepherd94

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250
Can anyone help me find a rust-free '98 - '01 v8 Explorer? I am in Northern Illinois where salt eats cars. I am looking for a dealer (or individual) and am not having much luck. I don't really want to drive half-way across the country on a "hunch" that an explorer of this age is in decent mechanical shape. I think the '98-'01 v8 drive trains were pretty solid so would like to start there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd grab any 96-01 V8 I could find in nice shape. Each year had it's ups and downs based on personal opinion but overall any year is good.

I guess it's possible to find a garage kept 2nd gen in your area. I'd look at the local ads not dealers.

Or you can come to AZ-CA and buy one of the millions of 2nd gens here are rust free.

I would LOVE to buy an Arizona, Texas, etc 2nd gen....it's just soooo far away. I wonder if I could find an independent company that would inspect a car so I would feel comfortable buying it without driving it and then just get it shipped here???

Are you looking for AWD or RWD?

FWIW...I bought my '98 XLT (106K miles) off the used car lot at Scottsdale Chrysler in 2012 and they handled the shipping to Mpls. Cost me around $800...but, the idea of having a rust-free truck for appearance purposes and to work on when things did go wrong was well worth it in my mind. I know this doesn't help with your concerns about vehicle condition, but at least gives you an idea on shipping.

Koda2000...I'm looking for AWD. Nice for these nasty winters we have. And thanks XLTrunner. That does help. Looks like you are from Mpls so you know what I mean about salt. My wife comes from mpls area. These winters just destroy vehicles...even the well kept ones.

I found my 00 V8 5.0 rust free just by looking un the cars for sale websites. Sites I used were cars.com and cargurus.com there might have been one more I used, but I just keep looking daily sometime multiple times a day for about 2 or 3 months. I knew what I wanted haha. I bought it sight unseen from a dealer in Oregon. Some of the gold plating is still on the calipers and bolt heads under the hood.

Can anyone help me find a rust-free '98 - '01 v8 Explorer? I am in Northern Illinois where salt eats cars. I am looking for a dealer (or individual) and am not having much luck. I don't really want to drive half-way across the country on a "hunch" that an explorer of this age is in decent mechanical shape. I think the '98-'01 v8 drive trains were pretty solid so would like to start there.

Some rust isn't so bad. Only when removing bolts, but that's what cut offs and torches are for. My '01 would probably qualify as rust free structurally, but it did have some bubbling in the rear door sill on one side and a spot in the rear fender. Of course, I'm not looking for cosmetics, all I care about is mechanical and structural.

Not that I want to disappoint you, but I just found and bought one in South Bend, IN area. Came across it by looking at craigslist. Cannot say it was cheap, but I knew exactly what I was paying for, as the vehicle appeared to be immaculate inside-out. Just relocated to this area from western NY, where rust is nightmare, so was worrying about this one and paid particular attention to rust. There is minor surface rust on the undercarriage and doors (bottoms) -- but to me it looked alright for the year and latitude. I still plan to apply some oil-based rust protection, as I did with my Wrangler.

Will keep an eye on something in the area, as I scan the CL occasionally. Good luck :)

What about looking for one from a CarMax in a less harsh climate? You could then do a Car Fax search to find out it's history and origin. You might have to pay a fee ($500 or so) to get it shipped to you. Just a thought maybe.

What about looking for one from a CarMax in a less harsh climate? You could then do a Car Fax search to find out it's history and origin. You might have to pay a fee ($500 or so) to get it shipped to you. Just a thought maybe.

2nd Gens are all gone from Carmax. Oldest they have is 2006.

Keep looking and have your money ready. I drove up to midland, 150 miles, to get mine. I found it on craigslist from the original owner. I paid top dollar for it but its what I wanted and he just put new tires on it.

Yes kiton...I know the one you bought....he told me I was about an hour too late. Phoned the gentleman and he said he had just sold it. No it wasn't cheap but it looked well worth the price. fwiw I think you made a very good purchase. Thanks for all of your help guys. I will keep looking...

Are you looking at Mountaineers also? I think they were all AWD with the 5.0 in 2nd Gen. Lots of those in Maryland on CL.

I plan on getting rid of mine in the next few months. 1996 V8, most of it's life in Texas until 4 years ago when I moved to Michigan (sorta close). But it doesn't check off your year range or AWD. However, RWD with the right tires isn't so bad.

Good luck in your search!

Are you looking at Mountaineers also? I think they were all AWD with the 5.0 in 2nd Gen. Lots of those in Maryland on CL.

FYI, Mountaineers are not all AWD or all V8's. They came with the exact same engine and drivetrain options as the Explorers.

A higher number of them tend to be V8's though for some reason and U-Haul will rent you a trailer if you have a Mercury.

FYI, Mountaineers are not all AWD or all V8's. They came with the exact same engine and drivetrain options as the Explorers. A higher number of them tend to be V8's though for some reason and U-Haul will rent you a trailer if you have a Mercury.

I stand corrected. Funny though I just searched again and all that are for sale locally to me are AWD 5.0's. With the base cost difference already built in I guess the target customer was willing to pay more on average than an Explorer customer.

Yes kiton...I know the one you bought....he told me I was about an hour too late. Phoned the gentleman and he said he had just sold it. No it wasn't cheap but it looked well worth the price. fwiw I think you made a very good purchase. Thanks for all of your help guys. I will keep looking...

Wow what a coincidence. Good luck with a search, I'll keep an eye for you here in Indiana.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've bought 2 rust free '97 Mountaineers in Des Moines, Ia in the past 3 years. I thought all Mountaineers were V8 AWD until I got the 2nd one home and found out it is 2WD. I also thought they were all loaded with options, but this one isn't - in fact it's pretty stripped down. The cloth seats and console are like those in the 1st Gen Explorers. But it's a rust free V8 with 125,000 miles.

Looking up parts on O'Reilly's website, it looks like the '97s were all V8s. '98 and later, it asks you if V6 or V8. When I go to the salvage yard I check all the Explorers and Mountaineers and I've only come across a couple of V6 Mountaineers. Same on CL.

Back