• Register Today It's free!

Loud front end poping sound

atreyu

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie 4.0
I got a 1994 eddie with 6.5" of lift sitting on 33's with manual Warn locking hubs. Whenever i turn real hard to the left i hear just a single loud popping sound (no clicking or grinding) and about 75% of the time when i hit the brakes at lower speeds. When i hit the brakes above 15-20 mph everythings fine. Sounds like its only coming from the drivers side. Ball joints maybe? Or U joint? Maybe the lift binding i dunno? Any help would be appreciated as this is my second explorer but my first Gen 1 and my first lifted truck!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue with mine. I have recently tracked it down to the steering. While removing the drag link from the pitman arm the boot got torn. The grease does not want to stay put and the metal on metal makes the steering pop. I also get a little pop when I stop at any speed. I am 90% sure that is the ujoints. I am going to replace of these things soon, I hope. Keep us posted if you are able to track your pop down and fix it.

I had the same problem my pitman arm was at the wrong angle, wich made the drag link rub against the tie rod. giving a loud POP.

i have this problem too but im pretty sure mine is ball joints as everything else is new.do you still have stock radius arms?

i have this problem too but im pretty sure mine is ball joints as everything else is new.do you still have stock radius arms?
Yeah they appear to be stock but they look to be dropped down to compensate for the lift and seem to be in good shape. Ive read that the bushing could be shot in the radius arm but i really dont think thats it. Pitman arm is a idea and ill check that, but call this ignorance but why would that cause a pop when i brake and the wheels are straight? I think im going to throw it on a hoist and check the ball joints. Is there is there anyway to "test" the u jointsb while im at it?:banghead:

alright so i took my truck to work to change the oil and threw it on a hoist. i grabed the top of my tire and had about a inch to a inch and half of play on the passenger side. the drivers side was all good. the guy i bought it from said that he replaced the ball joints but i noticed the drivers side had grease zerks for the ball joints but the passenger side didnt. So im wondering if he only replaced one side but which side? Did the original ball joints have greae zerks or not? Also the front U joint moved quite a bit with the tire. Could that be the problem too?

I have the "pop" too...hahaha. I was told it was RA bushings as well but I've check them and they are still good. It is coming from the driver's side in the front when I turn sharply or compress the suspension too much while driving.

It could be in the suspension itself where the twin I beams bolt up to the drop down brackets. The movement up and down of those can give you a pop too and would make the pop when you turn a certain direction due to the way the suspension compresses when turning

Could it be due to worn parts? cuz mine has only been doing that for a few months or so and has never done it before. My sound is similar to the noise you'd hear if you bang on an elevator wall or a big piece of aluminum. Do springs make noises like that?

ok update, i did the upper and lower ball joints both sides. Now the only pop is when i hit the brakes. I also put new wheel bearings in and new brake slider pins. My front u joint are pretty bad so i guess thats next to find the mysterious pop. At least the ball joints were bad and it fixed half the poblem!

well i too have the same popping noise when i hit the brakes. and i am just assuming its the radius arm bushings because thats the only real thing i can imagine that takes impact when braking....not sure. anyone here have extended arms with the same problem?

had the same problem..fixed the wheel bearings and RA bushings, havent heard it much anymore but here it every now and then.........how can you test to tell if your U-Joints are bad or not? and with the RA bushings you can feel it slide as soon as you come to a complete stop. Also is it hard to change U-Joints?

Dont think you can hear front ujoint if you not in 4x4

I assume but i cant find mine noise to save my life so hey who knows.

well the way i found out my u joints are bad is there was some play in the joint. of course i had it all apart doing the ball joints. I figure theyre bad anyway so why not try it ya know? so if it is my radius arm bushings are what causing the problem, than what if any damage will it cause?

This happened to me on my 94 Navajo, if its a pop/clunk when you brake even on a slow speed and even going over small bumps its the bushing they have gone shot and the radius its a PITA to do, but here's a previous thread that may help you http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=254748 just trying to help

well i too have the same popping noise when i hit the brakes. and i am just assuming its the radius arm bushings because thats the only real thing i can imagine that takes impact when braking....not sure. anyone here have extended arms with the same problem?

I have extended arms and I get a pop/clunk noise on hard brake and sometimes on bumps especially with the wheels turned. Mind you I am under 500 miles on a new lift and completely rebuilt front end so I will have to do some checking to see what is going on, it may be something needs re-torquing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea take a look at it make sure everything is torqued correctly and make sure all bushings are fine

Back