• Register Today It's free!

Loud Popping sound

jurick

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Info- 1997 Eddie Bauer, 4.0 SOHC, TT and shackles, 3" body lift.

Whenever I make a sharp left turn I hear a loud pop sound coming from the front end. I have brand new cvs and hubs that I replaced less than a couple hundred miles ago.

The question is what would this sound be coming from, I am starting to think that it is my cv joints binding up when I make the turn but I am not sure.

Any opinions on what this might be would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any Suggestions?

Any suggestions on what this might be.

you are right sounds like a bad cv shaft not the first time i have seen that happen happens a few times a year at work

Thats what I thought it was but them things are brand new less than 500 miles on them. If it is though they do have a lifetime warranty so I guess that I will just have to replace it with a new one. That really aggravates me though after they are brand new.

I am going through the same issues. I have a 96 sport with tt, All my balljoints were bad so i replaced all four at the same time. After the work i noticed a clicking noise when turning left at slow speeds, like pulling a u-turn or turning into a parking spot. So some time later i replaced both outer tie rod ends and put in a new drivers side cv joint, because that what is sounded like, a bad joint. Put the parts in, and.......nothing, still clicking almost clunking when i turn to the left and slightly when i straighten the wheel back out. Also it clicks and clunks when im on uneven roads(potholes,bumps,etc) Im stumped, my next step is to replace the inner rod ends because my steering still feels loose, and the steering wheel like to lean to the left all the time, even after the new outer rod ends and two alignments. Maybe a bad inner rod end? I don't know, this is my first rack and pinion, so i don't know what to look for, im also going to disconnect the sway bar and see if the noise goes away.Oh yeah im going to disconnect the front driveshaft also, to make sure it's not the t-case acting up. Hopefully i can find the answer, and same to you.

sway bar bushings possible? they go bad in a lot of explorers, and a lot of noises come from them. the bushings could've gone bad, and when you turn it coudl be shifting the weight.

it's a cheap fix if that's the problem. if not, one more thing not to worry about :0)

Well at least I am not the only one with this problem.

The clunking starting after I put on new cvs and new hubs. It wasnt there before I put them on. I know that I installed everything correctly to and also while working on that I checked the ball joints and every other part in that area and they all looked in good condition. So maybe I got a bad cv??

Actually I have been meaning to replace the sway bar bushings I just haven't gotten around to it. I actually have the parts sitting in my garage.

Just did sway bar links, noise is still heard, I am stumped, and to make matters worse my passenger side rear wheel seal is leaking like crazy, just did a axle housing swap, 3.27 to LS 3.73, i probably did something to the seal during install, or the seal was DOA out of the box. The weekend after next im going to replace the upper and lower ball joints on the drivers side(again:mad:) Replace inner tie rod ends, and check torque specs on the control arms, I have been chasing this noise for a while, and it's starting to get to me. If i figure out what it is, i will post it.

I am still leaning to a bad cv because the problem is starting to get a little worse and it all started after I put that cv on. Luckely the thing has a lifetime warrenty but now I have to go and disassemble the whole front end again.

I will give the results when I get this done, which probally won't be for a while.

Back