Coils, spindles, Ball Joints, and spacers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coils, spindles, Ball Joints, and spacers?

stevefed

Reaction score
So, I had another post about sliding over a curb and now having some front end thumping under acceleration. Today with further inspection I noticed my (boot on the) ball joint on drivers side is ripped up- I knew they were going and I have a 2.25" spacer on the strut. I also know the tie rod ends are going. Basically anything to keep my front end tight needs to be replaced and then realigned! I am sure the jarring it took going over the curb didnt help!

back to my trouble shooting -
would the bad ball joint allow the spindle to "stick" in the coils and make a racket while driving - only when accelerating (under load)? when looking at it, it seems the drivers spindle is a lot closer to the coil than the pass side - keeping in mind they are already close due to the spacer lift.

You could possibly just need an alignment. Back when I had my Explorer, I went offroading a week after I got an alignment. I hit a boulder, and it moved my tired back over an inch. The boulder DID make my car come to a complete stop, lol.

Back