Just Joined! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just Joined!

JAZNY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Seriously looking at the 2011 Explorer XLT to replace a Honda Pilot.
This looks like a great forum to help research.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is, just keep in mind that most of our members are offroad body-on-frame fans, so you're going to get a very vocal lopsided audience. The new Explorer is a very good vehicle, and I would look for some of our new 2011 Ex buyers/members' comments who actually have them...

Welcome! :wavey:

Thanks Joe,
I noticed the bias toward off-roading.

Having looked over the X and taken a test drive, it's a beautiful vehicle, impressive ride and driver interface. I'm a bit concerned with the front/rear overhang, expecially the front. No off-roading for me, but lots of fields, dirt roads, etc. with ruts and obstacles.

Thanks Joe,
I noticed the bias toward off-roading.

Having looked over the X and taken a test drive, it's a beautiful vehicle, impressive ride and driver interface. I'm a bit concerned with the front/rear overhang, expecially the front. No off-roading for me, but lots of fields, dirt roads, etc. with ruts and obstacles.

I have no bias to offroading in the slightest and still don't like the '11 rendition (and I've been an Explorer fan since I bought one brand new in '93). In fact I've liked EVERY rendition of the Explorer from '91 to '10.

This new one just doesn't float my boat and a lot of Explorer purists feel the same way. I feel they're just exploiting a once proud nameplate is all. Does it mean it's a bad vehicle? Unlikely. I'm still a Ford fan but just not feeling the love for the '11 model. Too much of a departure from Explorers gone by. I don't like the look of it either, but that's me. To me it looks like so many other vehicles on the road now.

The offroad angle means little to me. The Explorer hasn't been offroad friendly since the 2001 model year anyhow (2nd generation). You hardly see any serious offroad Explorers in the 3rd or 4th generation Explorers anyhow so to hear people complaining about the offroad capability of the 5th gen is puzzling to me.

This is the best Explorer resource on the www and the '11 is an Explorer so stick around and enjoy the site.

Welcome to this forum! The first generation was the best equipped for off road use. Each generation after this was based more on ride, performance, and luxury, so the 2011 is the closest to being a luxury vehicle, and the furthest from being off road worthy. It's not necessarily a bad thing. You could always mod an older one for off road use, and use the 2011 as a daily driver.

Howdy from NC.

I replaced my transmission with a used one because my reverse band went out on me. Everything seems to be hooked up properly, but I have two problems now. First, I can't get the tranny to shift into any gear, not even park, it just stays in neutral. The column shifter feels normal and the shift cable is moving properly. Second, the tranny fluid capacity is aprx. 10 qts. and after I added the eighth quart, it started leaking out of the vent tube located on the top of the tranny in the center. I don't understand what the problem is, I'm started to think maybe theres some kind of air lock or something. It did sit in a junkyard for at least 6 months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Back