• Register Today It's free!

Rear Diff

trush1492

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hey Guys!! I went to check the rear diff this weekend and it looks like someone beat me to the punch. They also rounded out the plug. :( Any ideas on the best way to handle this? Welding a bolt to it really isnt an option since its 3" from the gas tank. Dont wanna drill it and get shavings in there. Just kinda stuck here.

Thanks,

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean it real good and jb weld it.shouldnt be in there real tight.or you can just drain it and fill it by the abs plug to the books specs and hope its enough

I agree on the JB weld,if you know someone with a TIG welder they can also spot weld a cheap,short (2-3")extension to the plug without any problem.:D

its pretty damn tight. Looks like its never been out, but it also looks like the previous owner attempted to remove it and stripped it out.

I wonder if you could get a Gator Grip socket on it. Otherwise, I hear what you are saying about shavings, but you may have to drill it and run a big extractor into it. You could take the cover... hey don't they make covers with plugs? Could be the perfect excuse to get one of those cast armor covers. Otherwise, drill, extract, take the cover off and rinse out the diff. Need a new cover gasket and a new plug.

Big old pipe wrench has worked for me in the past.
If that dose not does it drain it and remove the cover and then weld or drill it out and or just replace the cover with custom or a junk yard part.
Depending on how long the oil has been in there removing the cover to clean it out really good is not a bad idea any way so you’re really not out any thing.
Just do not go looking in there to hard or you may find your self doing a gear swap also LMAO.

Back