• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP ASAP..please

whitexlt

Reaction score
City, State
WI/IL Boarder
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
well i have been looking for an f150-f250 for a long time now.. and for my price range i can get a wayyyy nicer 03-05 explorer so i have been looking at them.. very niice mostly eddie bouer.. so..

went and looked at one last night.. 73 y/o man original.. IT WAS FRICKIN IMMACULANT!
cleanest 8 y/o car i have ever seen in my life.. you could tell everything he owned was that way.. looked great even next to my aunts 09 yukon chrome edition... anyways everything was perfect... newer brakes and tires.. everything was good.. then i drove it..

ONLY PROBLEM=
whenever i would accelerate and turn there would b this crazy kind of shudder or heavy vibration noise and vibration from the rear end...
mostly when i accelerated and turned.. didnt notice it as much just when i coasted and turned...

is this a common ploblem?
we just gave him a 200.00 hold on the truck til he gets it fixed properly like he said he would since its about an hour away from my house...

more info on the explorer..
2003..74k..v8..eddie bouer..4x4..loaded,not like that matters lol ;)

what is it and is there anything else i should look for on these explorers..
thanks you guys sooo much
look forward to being an owner soon... whether its this one or not..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe bad rear wheel bearings, might be some tranny problems down the road too depending on the type of tranny. Rear struts/shocks are a common problem as well as a few other things.

ok thank you... i mean hes getting it fixed properly so i will know after it gets fixed but im just thinking of what it could be..

he also said he had all of the fluids done..

also any other problems i should look for when buying..?
thanks

check the springs in the front and back to see if they are cracked, also check front ball joints, those two things are common on the explorers, also check how the tranny shifts and operates. also check to make sure the 4wd drive works

alright i checked springs last night they look good.. shifts great.. ill have to ask him about ball joints...i wanna say he had to replace one once.. maybe it wasnt that tho..
he has a book of maintence records ever done to this thing lol

thanks i really appreciate it..
~cory

and i mean i know what i should pay and the price of these around me.. but in your opinion... what ya think? around you?

once this problem is fixed...

i can post pics if need be..

i paid 13,500 for mine with 67k 02 limted v8, on craigs list around me i found some for 10k mine was in mint condition and i fell in love once i first seen it i had to have it. the 03 ur looking at is before the drive by wire im pretty sure so its not a pain in the ass and there is no lag, and it is after the 02's where there were more problems and more things wrong with the tranny, i say buy :)

how much was he asking if you dont mind me asking....

no i dont mind... askin 12 and he aint movin lol...
i mean he dont neeeed to sell it so.. hes not movin on price:mad:

if all checks out id say its worth it... just make sure you check everything over check for major rust or anything you can talk him down on, go in with an idea of what the cars about so you sound like you know what your talking about. If i can go back im sure i could of talked the guy down on price knowing the information i know now from this forum.

this is very true...
thanks a lot
-cory

check the springs in the front and back to see if they are cracked, also check front ball joints, those two things are common on the explorers, also check how the tranny shifts and operates. also check to make sure the 4wd drive works

sorry for being a noob....but how exactly would you do this? do you have to jack it up to look under it?

It has the limited slip clutch pack problem which is very common on V8 explorers.

^^yep, sound like a LSD problem to me as well.

same problem I had in my 04 with the rear end chattering.

Back