• Register Today It's free!

Looking for help

Explorer Pete

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
I have an 02, 4x4, Explorer with 163K. Just changed the EGR Valve, and changed the DPFE Valve about 2 months earlyer, reset to clear the code. Drove the truck about 15 miles on city streets, check engine light came back on. Code is the same as befor.P0401 What else can cause the code???? Any help is realy needed, This is driving me crazy.:banghead::frustrate. Please any Ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02, 4x4, Explorer with 163K. Just changed the EGR Valve, and changed the DPFE Valve about 2 months earlyer, reset to clear the code. Drove the truck about 15 miles on city streets, check engine light came back on. Code is the same as befor.P0401 What else can cause the code???? Any help is realy needed, This is driving me crazy.:banghead::frustrate. Please any Ideas

Please provide the time frames and indications for the CEL, Code 0401, EGR replacement, DPFE replacement, and the 15 mile drive.

As described, it's impossible to figure out.

Ok, EasyRhino, here goes, about 2 months ago, while driving on city streets about 30- 40 mph, the check engine light comes on. I stop at PEP boys for a code check. Code at that time was for the DPFE valve replacement. Got the valve, and replaced it, Code cleared, and rechecked, all ok. Now, while driving on the same city streets, the check engine light comes on, Stop at the same PEP boys and the reading is for the EGR Valve(P0401), I buy the EGR valve and fight to replace it(not the best of places for the valve). Disconnect the BAT, to clear the code, while going back to PEP boys(about 15 mi, the check engine light comes back on. Stop and the code is P0401, and they say it is the EGR Valve again, WTF! How can that be? Question is, What else can cause the Code. At whits end. PEP boys want $85.95 just to do a better check on what causes the code. Pete

Any of the EGR tubes/orifices could be plugged. Also there is a Vacuum valve that controls the EGR. That could be bad too.

Did you try replace the EGR sensor? sometimes it's not the valve that's causing the CEL.

Where is the vacuum valve and the EGR sensor located? Pictures would help, I'm from the old school of no smog or Knox kit smog, this EGR and computers in autos drives me crazy.

Where is the vacuum valve and the EGR sensor located? Pictures would help, I'm from the old school of no smog or Knox kit smog, this EGR and computers in autos drives me crazy.

Follow the vacum line at the EGR back. You will run into the vacuum valve.

Found the vacume valve and the sensor. What was FORD thinking? You put a special smog part that can fail and cause the truck to run like crap, or fail smog, in an area that you might touch and just look at. Don't think about replacing the part without removing the top of the engine. Love the designers. The book shows easy access to the valve or the sensor. Any ideas on how to check and or replace the parts, not to mention the price of parts?

OK pic would STILL be worth 10 Million words. Pete you have a 4.0, v-6 correct?

How about for the '04-05 4.6 V-8?

All I see is the EGR unit, (2) vacuum hoses & the water/coolant hoses to pre-heat the EGR/Intake elbow.

I am thinking the DFPE metal/plastic piece is a V-6 part.

Someone please advise. Code P0401 coming/going. Only code. All else is great, truck is running semi-normal, other than random CEL.

I am digging in with Trick Flow Intake Elbow, new Typhoon main intake, oil cooler leak fix, & many general maint. items on Sunday. Would like to know what to chase after.

thanks!
Rob

OK pic would STILL be worth 10 Million words. Pete you have a 4.0, v-6 correct?

How about for the '04-05 4.6 V-8?

All I see is the EGR unit, (2) vacuum hoses & the water/coolant hoses to pre-heat the EGR/Intake elbow.

I am thinking the DFPE metal/plastic piece is a V-6 part.

Someone please advise. Code P0401 coming/going. Only code. All else is great, truck is running semi-normal, other than random CEL.

I am digging in with Trick Flow Intake Elbow, new Typhoon main intake, oil cooler leak fix, & many general maint. items on Sunday. Would like to know what to chase after.

thanks!
Rob

You have to replace the egr valve, there are no serviceable parts and the dpfe is built into the valve on 04 up engines.

thanks swetrid... I found the 411 on the EMS system about 15 minutes after posting the above... EGR unti due today..

For the OP.. from all I have been reading the last 48-72 hours on the P0401/P0402 code chasing... if all else is new... CAREFULLY remove the EGR tube(again).. clean it out completely, carefull its like $160 from Ford on the 4.0L v-6....

Rob

Found the vacume valve and the sensor. What was FORD thinking? You put a special smog part that can fail and cause the truck to run like crap, or fail smog, in an area that you might touch and just look at. Don't think about replacing the part without removing the top of the engine. Love the designers. The book shows easy access to the valve or the sensor. Any ideas on how to check and or replace the parts, not to mention the price of parts?

If you have a V-6 4.0L the DPFE is just to the left of the intake manifold in plain view. No dissassembly required.

If you have a pre-'04 4.6L V8, take the engine cover off & follow the vacuum, lines. The cover is either (4) or (6) bolts... if you can't handle either of those 2 options... you shouldn't be working on the truck yourself.

Take a pic of what you found, maybe you are looking at the wrong part?

Rob

It seams like their is someone who will make a comment on your thread, and it changes the topic or the information making it harder to get the information that can help you clear up your problem. In other words they HI-Jack the thread. I have seen it done to others. It is not right.That is why I said " I give up".

Yes he did hijack your thread. That is not allowed. And its fricking rude.

Bob

What I hope is a final up-date as to the EGR crap, Bit the bullet and got another DPFE sensor. Another $32.25. Put it in while at the parts house and cleared the code by removing the ground to bat. As it stands right now, no check engine light, thats after about 15 or 20 miles. Keeping the digits crossed, and looking to the future. Right now I'm a happy camper. Pete

Pete, good luck. I just replaced the sensor too, hoping it's cheaper than replacing anything else plus have 30 days to return the part if light comes on. I got mine from autozone for about the same price. It was a pain to get these hoses off, got a nick (hand went flying when it sprung lose). Praying she doesn't tell me she got the CEL again when she drives it tomorrow.

Back