Is my truck "stuck" in 4 wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my truck "stuck" in 4 wheel?

lilfk430

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Mounty
my 03 mountaineer is making a humming sound at highway speed.. (my wife doesnt hear it) truck does not pull to the left or right just this humming.. today i jacked up the truck and tried to rotate the front tires.. they were "locked".

this was a hell of a winter and the truck took a beating in the snow..

are they engaged in 4 wheel? if yes, can I somehow disengaged them?

should they be free wheeling?

i cant recall if they ever free wheeled in the past..

any thoughts?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it 4wd or AWD? My AWD is pretty much locked in due to the viscous clutch in the transfer case. Very expensive fix, unfortunately.

If you are/were stuck in 4wd, you'd know it more at low speeds parking and such as it would buck and hop. if the only symptom is humming, i bet your wheel bearings are going. very common, and a simple (but not necessarily cheap) fix.

Most (every one I have seen) 3rd gen Mountaineers are AWD. I second the "check the hub/bearings" statement.

thanks all.. any idea what bearing replacment should cost?

what about the fact that i cannot freewheel the front wheels when i jack up the truck? should i pay able to rotate the front wheels

Yesterday i had the front drivers hub replaced.. problem solved!!!! Now just waiting for the other side to start failing.. paid (some one else) $325.. and i didnt get dirty :)

Back