99% sure my left front wheel bearing is bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99% sure my left front wheel bearing is bad?

jakedrew

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xlt
2004 explorer, 63k miles. get a humming noise starting at 40mph.

thing that gets me is that when i turn left or right the noise really doesnt do anything different.

I know it isnt the rear end noise as that was replaced 10k miles ago and the noise isnt coming from the rear.

Put it in neutral and the noise is still there, give it/let off gas and noise is still there no different.

I jacked up the front left side and the wheel doesnt have any play in it. I spun it and it spun but a little tougher compared to the right side.

so am i correct in saying it is probably the front left wheel bearing? I done my fair share of reading and heard of numerous bearing problems with these.

Thanks
Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you feel it grinding when you spin it (while off the ground)? Like I've said to others lately (scary how many others, actually), I know mine's bad (hopefully get to replace it this weekend) and the grinding causes vibration in the other suspension components. With the wheel off the ground, I can grab the spring and feel the vibration when I spin the wheel. I do not get the same effect when I do the same thing on the good side.

i thought maybe the breaks were rubbing just a little when i spun it. But that is a good observation on the vibrations, i will have to try that. I been chasing down a small vibration now for a while. Hopefully the new bearing will fix that.

thanks and keep me updated on your bearing repair / good luck.
jake

100% for sure that you should replace both while you are at it;) I replaced one that I though was bad and it wasn't! Put the old one on the side that was and it cured the problem until that one went out within 2 months, now I need to buy a new one. In other words, I should have just replaced both while I was at it.

ya i understand on doing both while your at it. I will see.

Thanks for the reply.

Back