Remove Mirror Skull Cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove Mirror Skull Cap

00excursion

Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove the mirror skull caps, i.e. to paint? Looks like they are not part of the mirror assembly based upon parts available and what I've seen on the lot for XLT/Limited at least....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know how to remove the mirror skull caps, i.e. to paint? Looks like they are not part of the mirror assembly based upon parts available and what I've seen on the lot for XLT/Limited at least....

Side mirrors?
Remove the mirror and cap should be left. Mirror should be attached with somw kind of tape/ velcro.

Could you remove the cap for paint??

I am pretty surethat you can

2013 explorer mirror covers

2013 explorer mirror covers

Hey all. I am wanting to remove and paint or replace my rear view mirror covers from vehicle matched silver to gloss black. How do you remove them? Is it better to buy replacements and where?...

Thanks!

So how do you pry the glass off without shattering it?

And thanks for the response, just a little gun shy and don't want to break the mirrors...

I used a plastics panel removal tool, which pops cover out then slide toward car, the cover has a hook type clip I cannot remember if there was one or 2, real easy to come off

Catch the mirror on the side of the garage while backing out...does the trick! Kidding, don't do it. Those mirrors are expensive. Dealership used some sort of tool to pop the unpainted cap off the new mirror to put the body color matched cover on. They said it's really easy to break the tabs when you do it though. Good luck!

Back