Wheelcover Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheelcover Removal

Reaction score
Hi, anyone know how to remove the wheel covers on the 2011 explorer base? I was thinking of prying them off, but don't want to break them. Do I need to remove the lug nuts first? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, anyone know how to remove the wheel covers on the 2011 explorer base? I was thinking of prying them off, but don't want to break them. Do I need to remove the lug nuts first? Thanks.
I have a picture of the wheel and the cover and although it is hard to tell, it looks like the lug nuts may hold the cover on. The only reason I have this printout is that the parts manager at my dealership gave it to me when I inquired about getting the 17" steel wheels for my Limited for mounting Winter tires. I don't know yet whether I'll also get the base wheel covers or not. They are a bit on the expensive side. Does it look like the lug nuts are seated against the cover or does the cover fit over them?
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

Just wondering if you were successful in removing the wheel covers?
Also, could you please tell me what the PSI # is that is indicated on the label for the 17" tire? I'm planning on putting the 17" steelies on my Limited for Winter. The 20" tire is 35 PSI but I'm not sure if it would be the same for the 17" tire.
Thanks.

Peter

Just wondering if you were successful in removing the wheel covers?
Also, could you please tell me what the PSI # is that is indicated on the label for the 17" tire? I'm planning on putting the 17" steelies on my Limited for Winter. The 20" tire is 35 PSI but I'm not sure if it would be the same for the 17" tire.
Thanks.

Peter

Most tires are usually pumped to 35 PSI no matter the size.

Need to remove the lugnuts to take them off

Need to remove the lugnuts to take them off
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm looking to get a set when I replace my 20" with the 17" wheels for Winter. When I initially inquired about the cost back in March the dealer quoted $71 (CDN) each. Now they are down to $41. The wheels dropped from $174 to $99. I doubt they will drop any further. When I bought just the center caps for my '09 Highlander, they were $34 each.

You simply pull them off. They are not held together by the wheel nuts.

You simply pull them off. They are not held together by the wheel nuts.
I just had the base model wheel covers installed on the base model 17" steel wheels for my Winter tires. The wheel covers ARE held on by the lugnuts. My OEM lugs from the 20" wheels would not hold the base wheel covers. I had to order special lugnuts with a washer type flange (see photo) that would hold the cover in place. The covers do NOT snap onto the wheel.

Attachments

• PB050253b.jpg
    PB050253b.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,079
  • PC040274a.jpg
    PC040274a.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,039

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm looking to get a set when I replace my 20" with the 17" wheels for Winter. When I initially inquired about the cost back in March the dealer quoted $71 (CDN) each. Now they are down to $41. The wheels dropped from $174 to $99. I doubt they will drop any further. When I bought just the center caps for my '09 Highlander, they were $34 each.

Really?? I was quoted over US$300 each from more than one Ford dealer here in the states for the steel wheels. For a little more than one of those, I went with a set on inexpensive 17" alloys for the winter tires.

Really?? I was quoted over US$300 each from more than one Ford dealer here in the states for the steel wheels. For a little more than one of those, I went with a set on inexpensive 17" alloys for the winter tires.
You are not the first to have mentioned that. I can't explain why they cost so much in the States.
My total cost for four base model 17" steel wheels was $399.80 ($99.95 ea) and that was without any discount.

I just had the base model wheel covers installed on the base model 17" steel wheels for my Winter tires. The wheel covers ARE held on by the lugnuts. My OEM lugs from the 20" wheels would not hold the base wheel covers. I had to order special lugnuts with a washer type flange (see photo) that would hold the cover in place. The covers do NOT snap onto the wheel.

That's really odd. I changed my covers two months ago and all I had to was pull them off. Also I noticed from your picture that we have different nuts, mine does not have the circular base that yours does.

PS - what is the best way to post/upload pictures?

That's really odd. I changed my covers two months ago and all I had to was pull them off. Also I noticed from your picture that we have different nuts, mine does not have the circular base that yours does.

PS - what is the best way to post/upload pictures?
That is strange. Why would Ford have two different setups for the base model? I can't see that just because I ordered these to replace my 20" OEM wheels that the base wheel covers should be any different than the OEM covers. I haven't seen a base model Explorer around here so I have nothing to compare.
Anyone else with a base model care to jump in?

As for posting pictures, I believe you have to have an Elite Membership to do it using this forum. However, I have seen posts that said you can use other methods like photobucket to post here.
If you go to the New Member Forum there is a 'sticky' there that covers this.

Peter

Back