• Register Today It's free!

How big can I go?

Heff91

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I currently have a stock 1998 Mountaineer and I went up to a shop today to ask some question, and I pretty much was told that it would cost me $6,000+ just to make some 35s fit. I was just wondering how big I can go with the stock suspension and what I would have to do to make 33s fit and what I would have to do to make 35s fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can fit a 31x10.50 with a torsion bar twist and lift shackles.

You can fit 31s on the stock set up with trimming to fit 35s you need a tt shackles and a body lift.

i have 35's on my truck with only a torsion twist with shackles and body lift. i did have to trim my fenders but i only spent $115 on the BL and $65 for the shackles. no where near 6k

From what I understand is sometimes you can stuff a 32 without any lift but everyone can stuff a 31, after that body lift, suspension lift is needed to stuff a 33. 35s need trimmed bumpers.
*I'm running a 30x9.5 though, so I'm not completely sure. Regardless, $6,000 is way to much, bring me your truck and I'll do it for half that plus rhino line the entire body, and build some bumpers (I'm not a great welder though).

that price is crazy. i am about to put a superlift 4 in. kit on mine and was quoted 2500 including the install. i know have 3 in. bl,tt, and shackles and fit 33x12.5x15. i would keep looking for some other shop. btw, what are they planning on doing for 6k?

I have 35's on my Rig, and if i did it again, i would do it a bit different,,
i used a Superlift , equivalent of a TT and Home made Shackles,

Next time it will be a body lift, Tt and shackles, that can be done for right about $350 plus tires,
Not that bad at all , ,

that price is crazy. i am about to put a superlift 4 in. kit on mine and was quoted 2500 including the install. i know have 3 in. bl,tt, and shackles and fit 33x12.5x15. i would keep looking for some other shop. btw, what are they planning on doing for 6k?

That sounds awfully cheap. Just the lift kit runs $2000.

So just so I understand, i can get away with 33s with a shackles and NOT needing to cut my fenders? because I could really rather not cut them if it is not completely necessary.

They were going to do over fenders on the front and rear because they said nobody made fender flares if i cut the fenders and a 4 inch suspension lift because they said nobody made a body lift, and make me a front bumper. and i was told $6000 was the MINIMUM it would cost me. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifler27870

That sounds awfully cheap. Just the lift kit runs $2000.

i think they said the kit was 18 something and it would be like 700 for the install. i trust their work because i had a s-10 blazer they installed a 6 in. lift on that for around 1800 a few years back.

search_EF.gif

just remember the search button is your friend. but here's some threads you can start going through

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208483

Back