What to do with trying to save transmission. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do with trying to save transmission.

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
I have a 2004 4.6 EX

It has just over 75k on it. I was going to get the tranny flushed and all fluids changed.

I have been reading and I thought about putting a tranny cooler on it and doing some other upgrades.

Problem is I bought a warranty from the dealer. Its a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty (im good till 175,000) It suppose to replace anything engine or drivetrain if it goes wrong. (suppose too :rolleyes:)

Should I even worry about doing the upgrades to the transmission? Im lucky to put 5k miles on it a year so in 5 years I will be lucky to hit 115k.
Im afraid if I do the upgrades and they see that I could be denied for warranty
Im also afraid my warranty will run out and I will be SOL when it breaks down at 120k and I could have possibly made it last longer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just do a drain and refill on the transmission, not a flush. Every time I have ever had a flush done, the whole thing had to be rebuilt about 2 weeks later.

My Explorer already had a transmission cooler from the factory. I think it is part of the factory installed towing package.

Is the transmission already acting up now?

Just do a drain and refill on the transmission, not a flush. Every time I have ever had a flush done, the whole thing had to be rebuilt about 2 weeks later.

My Explorer already had a transmission cooler from the factory. I think it is part of the factory installed towing package.

Change the filter also when you do the fluid change. Agree with not doing any flush stuff. Seems to loosen up too much stuff that later clogs some passages and ruins the tranny.

just throwing this out there....if you do your own flush i.e. cut tranny cooler lines and put a rubber hose on the side that returns coolant to tranny into a bucket of new fluid and put a rubber hose on the line that goes to the cooler into an empty bucket....then woudn't that just cycle in new fluid while not disturbing anything in the tranny (the transmissions oil pump is already moving fluid through the cooler anytime the vehicle is running.

I would think this proceedure would be ALOT less invasive than acctually hooking it up to a pressurized (or vacuum) flush machine.

No, it runs and drives great

Change the filter also when you do the fluid change. Agree with not doing any flush stuff. Seems to loosen up too much stuff that later clogs some passages and ruins the tranny.

I meant just a fluid and filter change. Probably have my mechanic do it because I HATE messing with tranny fluid.

Back