Wrecked!

99EB5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Carlyle, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0 EB
:(

Friday night we had rain, which shortly after froze. Streets were a nightmare.
I had been trying to find a way to get back to a main road after being on side streets, which were all either up hill, or down hill. After a good 10mins of contemplating I decided I was best attempting to go up hill, thinking I would have more control. Wrong. About half way up the street the front end started going left...and it was all downhill from there, literally. Hit a 10-12 inch curb head on, went up over it, took out a small tree, and a street sign going sideways down hill, my front end still on the sidewalk. Towards the bottom of the hill my front end finally came of the sidewalk truck spun around so I was sliding backwards directly into a wall/barrier. This barrier was maybe 2.5 ft tall, concrete and was at the edge of a 100ft, straight down drop. Scariest minute of my life, knowing I had no control, knowing where I was headed, and what was behind it. I had my hand on the door handle and was moments away from jumping ship. I hit the wall at maybe 20mph. Damage up front is the front bumper from the tree and sign I took out, my steering wheel is turned to the left so suspension is screwed up. And my rear bumper where I hit the wall, bumper is pushed in and to the left. Sigh. Insurance got me in a rental saturday morning and the truck goes in tomorrow.
Pics of wall and rear bumper.
In the wall picture if you look closely you can see cars on the road below as well as a building to get an idea of the drop.

bump.jpg

wallodeath.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, you got lucky. it could have been much worse. at least your safe, and your truck is not in that bad of shape.

same think happened to me, except i was doing cyclones on snow and ended up taking out a tree. knocked my bumper about a 1" or so to the left and blew out a tail light.

Glad to hear you're alright.

My wife just wrecked my '97 5.0 on thursday in a 3 car accident, ripped the rear driver side tire right off, truck was done, both air bags went off and the roof was kind of collapsed. I saved my day old K&N filter though hahaha.

Atleast she was hit by a ranger and not an import ;)

On the lookout for my 3rd explorer now. I can't help it, I love these trucks.

Dropped it off at the body shop today, I have a feeling it's totalled, especially the reaction from the guy when he asked me mileage (195,6xx) Put me in a 2012 Ford Focus, they can take their time with it.

Not sure why, but they didn't total it. Got it back Wednesday afternoon.
Due to a lack of good quality used parts, they had to buy new.
Rear bumper, top pad
chrome piece behind wheel
Impact absorber behind front bumper
Chrome piece around passenger fog light and fog light
repaired and painted from bumper
and an alignment.
Total repairs, $2,465.00
Kinda glad I got it back though.

Not sure why, but they didn't total it. Got it back Wednesday afternoon.
Due to a lack of good quality used parts, they had to buy new.
Rear bumper, top pad
chrome piece behind wheel
Impact absorber behind front bumper
Chrome piece around passenger fog light and fog light
repaired and painted from bumper
and an alignment.
Total repairs, $2,465.00
Kinda glad I got it back though.

:eek: $2,465 That is what I payed for mine! Hope you got good insurance.

I do thankfully, State Farm. Zero deductible, gave me a rental the morning after the accident.

Back