Rear Pinion Bearing Going... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Pinion Bearing Going...

Oh, the joys of car ownership!
<<<<

2nd biggest money pit next to owning a boat and something is always going wrong with either one of them!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

<<<<

2nd biggest money pit next to owning a boat and something is always going wrong with either one of them!

I've been down that road before! Snowmobile's, too.

I've moved on to ATV's now... can use them more months out of the year, at least. :)

Alright, so I'm going to have to do something with this thing. I know its possible to drive for a year and have no issues but the noise, but I'd hate to have the entire diff torn apart eventually...

For financial reasons, I'm considering just doing the front bearing, and not the carrier bearing. I'm looking to buy myself some time more than anything else. I simply don't have $1,000+ to have it done "right" professionally at the moment.

As I'm looking at various write ups, it seems like it would be a pain to get that bearing and crush collar out without removing the entire diff, but doable. I'm more concerned about how to set the right preload during reassembly. Seems like it would be VERY difficult to with the carrier still mounted, not to mention without a lift.

Would a tranny shop be willing to replace JUST the front bearing & collar? I know it's not the "right" way, but if I can buy myself a few months, that would be huge! Obviously, I'd probably have them to as much of a diagnostic as they can to see if its even the front bearing, or if its the carrier, or both.

Any thoughts?

I've been down that road before! Snowmobile's, too.

I've moved on to ATV's now... can use them more months out of the year, at least. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just saw this post of yours. No snowmobile's for me, but have a few friends that own them. Fast and dangerous. On ATV's, I do own one and love it, Honda Foreman 450 ES, very easy to maintain and reliable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just saw this post of yours. No snowmobile's for me, but have a few friends that own them. Fast and dangerous. On ATV's, I do own one and love it, Honda Foreman 450 ES, very easy to maintain and reliable.

Yes, I've had far fewer breakdowns with ATV's than with any sleds I've owned. It probably helps that the ATV's are used nearly year round, where the sleds sit idle for 6-9 months out of the year.

Quick update on the bearings... A tranny guy here in town that my regular mechanic recommended will replace both bearings for $450. He said that because I've been driving it with the whine, there is probably some gear wear, but as long as I don't mind a little noise (and barring anything unforseen he might find when he opens the case), replacing the bearings only will suffice.

I know the proper course of action is to replace everything, but this seems to be a pretty solid band-aid.

So, I'm going to have the local shop do it. I called around and they are totally qualified to do it, and will stand by their work. They are a mom and pop type place, rather than a dealer. I just hope to God that it doesn't cost me $1k to have it done! Might as well have them replace the axle seals while they are at it too. My goal is to drive this beast until it's just shot. But in a year or so, i'm going to get a car that gets good gas mileage as my daily driver, and use my Explorer to pull my trailer, boat, or whatever. So, I want to keep it looking decent and running!

I may be having similar pinion gear problems and loved reading imp's posts. My question becomes, how do you find someone that will know as much locally and be trusted to do the repair properly? Every so often, I remember the old commercial from the 70s or 80s of chimpanzees in mechanic outfits with baseball bats...

Back