Rebuilding M5OD - special tools

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
I'm about to start rebuilding my M5OD and am concerned about any special tools I may need, primarily for installing the bearings. Many are press fit according to KPT's rebuild thread. Can these be installed using a slide hammer? Or what kind of tool would be appropriate for this?

Thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bearing on the output shaft can be worked loose with a crow bar otherwise you need a puller with I think 11 or 12 inch arms that is hard to find. Pressing that one on can be done with a punch. You can get the shafts out without any other special tools. I believe there are two other bearings inside that are pressed on the shaft.

I believe there is a rebuild thread around here somewhere if you search.

For this bearing:

attachment.php

It is ok. Others I don't know. I've only dealt with fifth and reverse in mine.

OK, just making sure that hammering on the bearing (via a punch or piece of pipe) won't damage it.

You won't damage it as long as you only hammer on the inner race and keep it as straight as you can. I would use a piece of pipe with a 2x4 block on top.

I don't remember how I got the output shaft bearing off, its been so long. I do have one of these but that won't give you enough reach.

I've bought a press since that rebuild and I'm glad I did. When you need it nothing else comes close.

Back