Proven things to increase mpg's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proven things to increase mpg's?

chiro69kris

Reaction score
Just wanting to see if there is anyone who has seen increase in mpg's with mods. What are those mods? Mods Specifically for newest Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The latest version of the explorer and engines is new enough that you really can't find many aftermarket parts for it yet, besides you are already getting more HP/TQ than the older models along with better fuel economy. I think that the only performance tunes out for the 3.5 is by SCT, but I haven't seen any real world data on it yet.

to maximize your mpg, keep your tires properly inflated, use cruise control, keep your speed down and your car in tune, avoid sudden stops/starts, use synthetic oil.

Generally speaking, the best bang for the buck is a cat-back exhaust if you don't mind the extra noise (I don't, my wife does :D ). I don't know if anything is available for the latest Explorer yet but they already get better mpg than the previous model.

Tuners make a teeny bit of difference, more so if you get a 89 or 91 octane tune but then you're buying more expensive gas.

Cold Air Intakes make no difference.

I know that doesn't answer your question specifically but it's the best I've got. :salute:

Driving style is about the only thing you can do that has a significant impact on economy.

They're already tuned for efficiency... eventually you'll see aftermarket "chips" (really just modifying the software in the existing chip) that could increase power, but I doubt you'll see much that INCREASES economy even when the aftermarket suppliers kick in in another year or two. (They really wouldn't get much business until the warranties start expiring... that's why you don't see much from them for a few years with new vehicle designs.)

The best mod to improve MPG's, is to replace the nut holding the steering wheel.

The #1 best mod, with the lowest cost (FREE) is to keep your tires properly inflated. #2 would be to drive the speed limit. Everything else will "cost you" and give minimal return.

to maximize your mpg ... use cruise control

true for flat highways and roads... when in hilly areas it helps to use the instant economy readout and control your speed manually (even better to use manual shifting to shift to lower gears while climbing)

Pretty much has already been stated. (proper tire inflation,easy on the throttle, etc.)
Here are my takes on proven things that increase fuel mileage.
1. Use only low rolling resistance tires.
2. Real gasoline instead of the ethanol blends(it's out there)

The weather,and other variables will affect fuel mileage.
As far as mods,they usually don't give much of an increase or give a decrease in fuel mileage.

As far as mods,they usually don't give much of an increase or give a decrease in fuel mileage.

I picked up 3 mpg on the highway with the cat-back exhaust. City mpg is no different. It cost me $360 and my math tells me it took about 3 years to recover the cost. Of course my Sport Trac still had new truck smell when I installed it :D so I'm ahead now.

Johnny, that may work for the 06-10 years (and good info for those years), but the 11-13 years were completely redesigned with a completely different engine so it is hard to say if that would be the case. In the OP's case if he wants a MPG boost, just trade in for a 2012/13 with the turbocharged 2.0 and enjoy. :)

to maximize your mpg, keep your tires properly inflated, use cruise control, keep your speed down and your car in tune, avoid sudden stops/starts, use synthetic oil.

i kinda of disagree on the cruise control.

since i have seen cruise control peg my ex at over 5k rpm, its definitely not for mpg but keeping speed.

i kinda of disagree on the cruise control.

since i have seen cruise control peg my ex at over 5k rpm, its definitely not for mpg but keeping speed.

i've tried it both ways and i find that using cruise control gives me better milage (overall) driving the same 100 mile highway route (around town using curise control doesn't make much sense). it may make a difference depending on the topography where you live, but this isn't only my recommendation. as far as watching the economy readout, don't know where the display is on newer models, but if you try to keep a close watch on it in a gen II you'll end up rear-ending someone.

it's a bit like the argument of tailgate up or down in pickups. it's been proven that tailgate up gives better fuel mileage, but some people will swear it's the other way around.

Yeah, they like the tailgate down because the truck bed gets lighter as they drive... :D

1. Reduce your speed...
2. Over inflate your tires by 10%...
3. Use only NON alcohol gas and do not mix the two....
4. Remove any outside obstructions like top rack cross bars, or bug deflectors.
5. Remove or do not carry any unnecessary cargo (weight) including removal of 3rd
row seats if not needed....
6. Keep vehicle exterior clean and slick waxed...
7. Use full synthetic oil...

actually a rough surface is slicker. that's why the U.S. Navy paints their nuclear subs with a rough flat black substance. and yes, the Mythbusters got better mileage with the golf-ball dimpled car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actually a rough surface is slicker. that's why the U.S. Navy paints their nuclear subs with a rough flat black substance. and yes, the Mythbusters got better mileage with the golf-ball dimpled car.

That is why you can't do race cars with a rough substance.

Back