Please Help, wont start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help, wont start

That's a good start. Along with the PCM diode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

admittedly im not a multimeter whiz. I set it to 2000 on the ohm setting because thats the only setting (out of 2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000, and 200) what would work. one way it reads about 705. The other way theres no reading at all. Isn't a diode supposed to read from both polarities? one is supposed to be about 3 times higher than the other?

also how do i jump power to the diode? take paper clips and insert them in both ends of a powered clip, and jam them into the clips for the diode?

A diode only reads one direction. thats what a diode does, only passes current in one direction. If thats what you're seeing then the diode is good. Now you need to check for power at the locations in the diagram.

Get your self a piece of wire, hook one end to the positive battery terminal and the other end to the PCM diode. See if the truck will start. Just be careful not to short anything out. Once that wire is hot don't touch the end you'll hook to the diode to anything else.

cool. forgive my ignorance but i do leave the diode plugged in correct? just wrap the other end of the wire around one of the posts and plug it back in?

i have power at pcm power 8 . no power at the relay

Do you mean fuse 8 in the box near the relay? That is the power for the PCM. You need power to the diode to activate the relay and send that power from fuse 8 to the PCM.

right. i get that. i am just unsure of how the jumping works. do i wrap the other end of the hot wire around one of the diode posts and then plug it back in, or just pull the diode out and run the hot wire straight into the clip?

Sorry, I missed that. Just pull the diode and put the jumper wire on the post and plug it back in. If the diode has the diagram symbol on top put the wire on the post opposite from the point on the arrow.

cool, going to try that now. Thankyou immensely for all of your help by the way. If you're ever in charleston shoot me a line and come by my restaurant; i'll make sure you get taken care of.

No problem. Let me know how that works out.

tried both posts of the diode. nothing. tried the pcm.hego.cvs jumper and nothing either. all three attempts i heard some really weird ass noise from right near the firewall for about 2 seconds. no start. the first time with the wire wrapped around the post opposite the arrow - the dashboard lights came on without the key in.

so ive got power to everything except the relay, the pcm.hego.cvs and the diode.. does that limit us down to a bad connection underneath the fuse box? i also checked all of the fuses inside the cabin that relate to pcm

Just noticed that the fuse for the starter relay (interior fuse panel) is recieving no power

the first time with the wire wrapped around the post opposite the arrow - the dashboard lights came on without the key in.

That is o.k. When you put it on that post it sent power back to the ignition circuit. If working right the power would come from the key and not the other way around. Let me think on this. I'll go over the schematic and see what I can figure out.

cool cool, we'll try again tommorow then! it always tends to be something simple with this truck that i overthink.

does this have a p.a.t.s system?you know a coded key?

and you are quite sure there is good spark eh?
with spark and starting fluid it should at least attempt to fire .did you check spark at all cyl??it is possible to lose spark at just 1 or 2 .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the vehicle does not have a pats system. its a bare bones model - power nothing.

Back