• Register Today It's free!

Vibration...Help needed

DAT05EXPLODER

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0 4x4
i have a 2005 4.0 explorer xlt with advance trac.

it has a slight vibration above 40mph

after 60mph it has a pretty intense vibration.

so far, i have removed the front drive shaft to make sure that wasn't it. (feels up front to me, but obviously doesn't mean it is)

i also rotated the front tires to the rear and vice versa.

After both of those not working it leaves me thinking rear drive shaft, but i can't check that out until next week. Hoping someone may read this and fixed a similar problem.

I have searched and found most threads pertaining to this, were left unanswered.

thanks in advance.
sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking it can be the u-joints. I assume the vibration is not due to wheel balance since you didn't describe the type of vibration.

i will check that out for sure, as soon as i can next week.

i should also add, all 4 wheel bearings are looking good. thle drivers rear was just replaced less than 2 months ago. it's all just odd, i don't think it is the tires unless it's a belt.

which i can swap all 4 with another explorer i own that's driving smooth.

i have a 2005 4.0 explorer xlt with advance trac.

it has a slight vibration above 40mph

after 60mph it has a pretty intense vibration.

so far, i have removed the front drive shaft to make sure that wasn't it. (feels up front to me, but obviously doesn't mean it is)

i also rotated the front tires to the rear and vice versa.

After both of those not working it leaves me thinking rear drive shaft, but i can't check that out until next week. Hoping someone may read this and fixed a similar problem.

I have searched and found most threads pertaining to this, were left unanswered.

thanks in advance.
sean

I have the same problem that I have not been able to locate. From what I have read when these 3rd gens vibrate at 60 it can be the drive shaft, the differential or one guy fixed it with what he called insulators on the differential. There were three of them and he gave the part numbers. I would question if he actually solved the problem or just masked it with new bushings.

I had bad wheel bearings, but replacing them did not help. I had one bad u-joint so I swapped the drive shaft with one off a wrecked Explorer that did not vibrate when last used...no change. I am only left with the differential or the insulators unless my drive shaft is bad.

Do you also have a vibration when turning at low speeds?

Here is that thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199857

i saw the insulator fix, but i think it's a bigger problem then that. this week i will swap all 4 tires to see if that may be a culprit, not expecting it to be. i am also going to swap rear drive shaft and u-joint this week. i will definitely post my results once they are done.

it's my GF's truck. she took it to pep boys for a balance and they told her that she needed a rear tie-rod and new tires.

I would also check the toe links. One on each side. Look at the inboard side at the bushings. Lift one wheel at a time and wiggle wheel to check both the wheel bearing and the toe link. On toe link one end has the bushings and the outboard end has a small ball joint. I say to check wheel bearing again because I had one changed and a few thousand miles later it had a wobble and after removing tire I wiggled rotor and boy it wobbled big time. I know you had it replaced but check again to eliminate it as culprit.

where do you feel the vibration?, in the steering, or seat. if it's the seat it's more than likely u-joints.

Same problem here,

2003 Eddie Bauer 4.0L

All wheel bearing are ok, no wobbling wheel, but everything shake over 50-55mph

I even though it could be engine mount? could it be that?

Oh, I forgot to mentionned, it only happens when I lift my foot from the gas pedal or when the car decel, I have no vibration while accelerating...

2002 explorer, pressing the brake pedal, turn the wheel to one side

2002 explorer, pressing the brake pedal, turn the wheel to one side

I am not sure if this is a question, but assuming that it is...a pulsing in the brake pedal could be rotors. A vibration while turning could be wheel bearings.

Not saying that this is the problem...but, I had an older Exp, that had a vibration, that got worse, at higher speeds. It was the steering box. I had it changed out, and the problem was GONE. Now, a vibration can come from LOTS of different places. But, that was what I had. Just another place to look.

Back