Advice on buying used '09 XLT with low miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on buying used '09 XLT with low miles

kevin512

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, Minneota
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm looking at buying a used '09 XLT 4.0L 4x4 with 34K miles. It appears to be in excellent shape and well cared for. Can anybody advise on any problem areas I should be looking at during a vehicle examination and test drive?

I currently own an '02 XLT 4.0L 4x4 with 178K miles that has been very good to me. On the surface, the '09 changes seem mostly superficial compared to my '02. Are there any major changes under the surface?

Thanks!

Kevin512

On the 4.0, no mechanical changes from 06-10. A very reliable engine/vehicle in my opinion and the early model radiator issues were taken care of so that should not be a problem with the 09. Most common problem is with the ABS tone rings getting damaged or just coming loose since they are pressed on. Follow the Ford maintenance schedule and it should be very reliable. At 34K miles make sure that the fuel filter was changed around 30K miles like it should have been.
As far as handling goes, expect it to drive different than your 02 in slick situations since it has the RSC technology.

I bought a used 09 4.0 4x4 EB with a lot more miles on it. 64,500 miles. It turns out to have had rough use. After replacing front wheel hubs, 1 rear wheel bearing and overhauling the front diff, it has been a pretty good vehicle. I have used it off road. I get pretty good gas mileage with it. I get 20 to 21 mpg on the highway and +/- 18 mpg all around driving.

If the one you are looking at has any symptoms of the drive train problems, you will hear/feel it.

I got mine at a decent price so with the repairs, it was a fair price.

Thanks for the advice.

Back