fuel tank skid plate

Daniel77

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited 4.0
Hi guys ,
sorry its been awhile since I ve been on here . Work has been keeping me pretty busy . ( 10 hrs a day ,5 days a week 8 hrs on sat ) .
I have a serious problem that I need help with .
Does any one have pics or video on how to remove the gas tank skid
plate on a 94 explorer ? I have removed three ( front strap bolt on side )
bolts on front but cant find other bolts thats holding it in place .
Any help please ? I have read other threads where they said they have
removed many tanks .But does any one have pics where all the bolts are
or what ones to remove ?
Please help I have a gas leak :help:when I fill the tank up . :(
thanks Joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If no one has the pictures, you can get the Ford Service Manual as a pdf from Rockauto for twenty bucks. Well worth the money.

Your leak is probably coming from the gasket at the top of the tank, where the fuel pump assembly goes in. It is a round o-ring style gasket and is sandwiched in between the tank and the fuel pump hangar assembly, which is put under tension by the lock ring. I access my fuel pump using a hole I cut in the floor, which keeps me from having to drain the tank or disconnect anything. If you do a search you can find more info on the "access panel" method. Once you get at that gasket, you can probably replace it pretty easily. If the retaining ring is rusty or bent, replacements are available at parts stores cheaply. The gaskets are easy to slip out of place during installation so you may have to try it repeatedly. Also, there are a couple thicknesses of gasket; the thinner ones are easier to install, but will still leak.

Thanks for the info on the access hole . I think I will wait till it gets warm here again . I will do the job right . I have access to all the tools . It dont leak unless
you go over 3/4 tank .

Thanks again for the help
Joey:hammer:

Careful shoot'n sparks at a leaking gas tank!

Careful shoot'n sparks at a leaking gas tank!

When i did my fuelpump with the access hole method, I was able to put several wet rags on top of the tank while cut the access panel. I did'nt know if mine had any leaks or not. Worked like a charm! The panal tip is what made join this forum. Tons of good info here, Search search and search...

S.

The tank on the '89 Bronco II I used to have developed a leak under 1 of the straps. If I remember right, some sand got between the tank and the strap, and along with a little rust, caused a leak. I don't remember having problems finding or getting to any bolts, but getting the skid plate off past the trailer hitch was a major pain.

Now that I think about it, I only discovered the leak as I dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump.

The Explorer has a plastic tank and is located on the driver's side, forward of the axle as opposed to a B2.

DUH, I should know that since I replaced the BII with a '94 Explorer after the BII was totalled!! (Got hit head-on by a drunk driver.)

Explorer tank

My 94 Ex has a metal tank in it. Which ones are plastic? I did the pump in mine back in June or July.

DUH, I should know that since I replaced the BII with a '94 Explorer after the BII was totalled!! (Got hit head-on by a drunk driver.)

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I know this a bit of a thread jack, but how hard was the hit and how did you and the truck fare? Been curious about how these vehicles hold up in wrecks.

Both vehicles were traveling under 35 mph. The road was slick from mud traffic had tracked up on the road from the grass parking lots after a college football game. The other guy was in a late model extended cab full size Chevy pickup. Besides being drunk, with 4 or 5 guys in the truck his windows were fogged over so he couldn't see. There was a slight curve and I saw he wasn't turning. I hit my brakes but didn't slow a bit on the slick street. We didn't hit directly head-on, but almost. The left corner of my bumper hit just inside his passenger side headlight slightly before the rest of the bumper hit. I think the liftgate was the only thing on the BII that wasn't bent or twisted. The other guy's cab was shoved back into the box, front end damaged, windshield broken. Given the size/weight difference, I thought the BII held it's own even though there wasn't much to salvage.

I had severe whiplash. My shoulder/arm broke the driver's window which was the only broken glass, and I picked up my glasses behind the BII - on the passenger's side!I also had a mild concussion, which wasn't caught at the ER, but I knew I wasn't up to driving home - and I ALWAYS drive. I could only concentrate on one thing at a time for 24 hours. One of the guys in the back seat of the other truck hit the dash or windshield and broke his arm or wrist. 3 of us were taken in the ambulance. Can't remember the 3rd guy's injury. Of course the drunk driver was unhurt.

We both had insurance through Farm Bureau and they treated me well. I paid $1400 for the BII 2 1/2 years earlier and had put new tires and a new driveshaft in it. FB paid me $1700 for it, (which is what the Explorer that replaced it cost) plus $2000 for pain and suffering, missed work, etc. The $2000, which I wasn't expecting, was a nice surprise right before Christmas!

thanks for what ever help you guys gave on here . I am going to do this job the right way and find how to take the skid plate off . I am going to check the vent hose first. Its been freezing Here,12"snow . Its about all gone now .
Iam ok for now as long as I dont fill it over 3/4 tank .

Thanks again
Joey

Back