• Register Today It's free!

gas tank skid plate

BOOGS61

Reaction score
City, State
Mchenry IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have a 1994 explorer with a very rotted out skid plate for my gas tank can I rehang tank with out it. I have a gas leak from tank falling out. thanks boogs61

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have a gas leak,id replace the tank with a new one or a good used one from a junk yard,and trust me you want the skid plate for it,the gas tanks are a hardened plastic,the skid plate is there for a reason,its to protect it from being punctured or any kind of underneath damage

Unfortunately the skid plate is also used as a mounting point for the forward fuel tank strap. As such the skid plate is needed to support the fuel tank. A few months back I just repaired my skid plate because the brackets that attach to the frame had almost rotted away. I fab'd up new 3/16" x 2" steel brackets (going under the skid plate, as opposed to in) and its been fine..

how come some people dont have a skidplate then?

how come some people dont have a skidplate then?

1st Gen explorers all have skid plates because the front tank hanger goes over the tank and attaches to the skid plate making the hanger dependent on the skid plate. :dunno: Without the skid plate there would be nothing to attach the front hanger strap to. In later models Ford used a steel tank instead of plastic along with a different mounting hanger configuration independent of the skid plate.

As such the choices for a 1st gen would be to fix the skid plate, or swap in a later model steel tank and hangers. I haven't done this myself, but would assume you could swap in a later model steel tank with minor effort..

i see.. mine has a skid, but i know a lot of 2nd gen guys that would like one

Back