Temp fixes for rear differential grinding? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temp fixes for rear differential grinding?

JoeR

Reaction score
City, State
Golden CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I just finished repairing both front and rear heater blend doors on my '02 XLT (V8 with towing package), when I start getting the grinding noise/sensation at low speeds. Mechanic says to replace the clutch packs and bearings ($1500), which seems to match with information on this board http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395890&highlight=differential

With the holidays and two kids in college, I don't have a spare $1500 sitting around--and I'm just so sick of dealing with problems with this vehicle. Especially when I find out that every one one is a common one with 02s! I know I'm probably dreaming, but is there any cheap, temporary fix that will get me by for a while? If not, what happens if I ignore the problem? How long can I get by, and how catastrophic might the result be?

I had similar binding when turning. I drained the rear diff and refilled and put in a bottle of friction modifier. Binding is now gone. Wish I had done it a lot sooner. 2 bottles of gear oil and 1 bottle of friction modifier was a pretty cheap fix and if it doesn't work for you not out a lot of $$. I still have the whine, but the binding is gone. Good enough for me for now.

Sounds worth trying! Any recommendations on gear oil and friction modifier?

Go to ford and get the friction modifier. We used royal purple 75w-140.

Back