Quick question need quick answer please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick question need quick answer please

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 4x4
Hey guys just blew a shock on my 93. Going to do a skyjacker 2" lift when I replace the shock. Also going to be doing the warrior shackles in the rear. What is a good shock setup? With model #'s please. I do not offroad just want the clearance and aggressive look.

I was looking up Pro Comp 3000's but there are a few different ones. And it seems the fronts only go up to 1.5 inches of lift, will this be ok? I know the skyjacker lift may be closer to 1.5 than 2 inches, but I wanted to make sure.

Or are the skyjacker ones equally good?

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Struts?

shocks* ;) been a car guy for too long

Should I grab a steering stabilizer as well?
And what about something for the camber? Or will I be alright since it is only a 2" lift?

Sorry this turned into many questions..

Steering stab is really overkill for street.

Don't Know about those shocks but I am using Rancho Suspensions RS5000 on the front and they are real nice on the street. Part # 5039 is the correct fit for 2" lift.

For the rear I'd go with the RS7000 series Stock length will work fine on street as extension length won't be a concern.

Amazon has em for $30
http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS5029...&sr=8-8&keywords=rs5000+series+shock+absorber

For 2" lift I recommend these "pucks" from supreme. Best material - Duralon -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-96-Ford-...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item1e63b26fff&vxp=mtr

for the price you can just toss the add-a-leafs.

Aluminum pucks wear squeak and crack

Poly pucks - well, rhymes with -pucks

If all your front end parts are new and I mean this month new.. ball joints, pivot bushings, radius arm bushings. you will be able to reuse your camber bushing.

Just not worth taking it to the alignment shop without the right parts though.

2 degree camber bushing part # is Superlift 1120

The Amazon listings don't show the stroke length for those shocks so I'm at a loss for fitment.

When you get the lift on just take it to a shop to spec it for shocks.

You can get the part #'s from the shop and buy online in you need to.

But at least tip the guy!

No new parts up front, so you think those shocks, the 2" pucks + skyjacker AAL + warrior shackles and the camber bolt will be all I need for now?

I do have a wobble at higher speeds and when going over bumps so that will be investigated when this stuff is being installed.

Yep,

The wobble is probably the rear shocks. Or did you mean a steering wobble?

Well I feel it in the steering wheel but it probably (hopefully) is the shocks. Last time it was on a lift we felt no movement in the front end so it probably is the worn shocks in the back..

Can't seem to find which Rancho RS 7000 shocks will work with my truck, amazon says none of them fit my vehicle and google is coming up with nothing. If you could just help me find out what the model # of those are I will place the order and should be all set!

Thanks a lot for the help.

Side note... with shipping those blocks come to like $104, at that point what is the benefit over the 120 or 130 whatever for the skyjacker front coils other than saving a few bucks?

Think I may go with pro comp es3000 shocks for the rear they seem to have good reviews.

Just need some insight on whether to go with that puck or the skyjacker coil and then I think I am all set!

When I had the skyjacker I used pro comp 9000's. I was happy. And I used their 0-2" fitment. I was fine. And I used the stock camber bushings, they aligned fine. Nothing else was replaced in the front end.
Don't know if those are in your budget, I have heard decent things about the Rancho 5000's too.
Personally I like the coils better. They are good springs, & I figure you have to take the stocks out anyway, & they are new compared to 20 years old.

Ah I didn't know they had 9000's short enough for a 2" lift I will check it out. Thanks a lot

Thanks guys, after thinking long and hard I may just do shocks and the warn manual hubs. I do not offroad and I can fit either 22's or 31x10.50's stock so I should be happy stock.

For stock height, good quality shocks how does this look?

Explorer Pro Comp 324509 ES3000 Shock Absorber for rear

Rancho RS5029 RS5000 Series Shock for front

I would get the same front & rear. You want to have the same valving & rates on each corner if your mainly on the street.
Also check what gears you have. If you have 3.27's, 31's will SUCK trying to get up to speed & suck gas.

Your original springs are most likely sagged. I use washers with a 3" OD stacked under the stock spring (where the pucks go) for just a tad of lift or to correct spring sag. Two or three can be used in the front to nose up a bit and give it a good 4x4 look. You want the bottom of the rocker panel level with the ground.

If you really wanna go cheap use the max amount of washers that still allow the spring bolt to lock in place, and fab up some extended length spring shackles for the rear. It will look great with just a touch of lift and 31's. You could keep the stock shocks for street use if you dont drive like nascar lol.

The auto hubs can work great for limited use (need?), just service them. The search feature has alot of info on that. If you're going manual for the look, yes by all means enjoy your ride. :)

The reason I didn't go with RS7000 or 9000 is that they do not offer them short enough for stock or 2" lift. Only the 5000.

And the 5029 is to long for stock.

Do the lift first, then measure it for shocks.

If you do the pucks the lift will be predictable...If you go with the springs you will likely get unexpected results. Say 3.5" depending on sag of the stockers.

I have the pucks on the front 2" exactly as expected. My rear springs however were sagged so bad I used 4" shackles and 2" add-a-leaf just to get level.

I also have a set of 2" springs for the front to put on top of the pucks for 4" total but before I do I am having the rears re-arched + 2" at a cost of $275.00.

Then I should be able to ditch the add-a-leaf and sit level. Really don't like the AAL the spring rate kicks the rear up off bumps to much.

My point here is that if you go springs you may have to do more to the rear than you anticipated to get it level again. Which means more $$$ than you thought.

If on the other hand you just want to get it back on the road and safe,,

and wait on the lift, just go to Autozone or whoever and get some cheap OEM fit shocks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah thanks for the info, already ordered the 5029's for the front so I may just install the es3000 on the rear for now and when I get some money maybe I will buy the 2" puck and the AAL and lift it and install the 5029's then.

With the puck in front and the AAL + warrior shackles in the rear that will hopefully level it. If not I'll have to adjust accordingly.

Back