New Member and New Explorer Sport Ower | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member and New Explorer Sport Ower

pmw0826

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, so this is my first post. I've had my 2014 Explorer Sport for two weeks now and love it. I traded my 2010 SHO for the Sport and don't regret it at all. I do have a couple of questions and thoughts, however, which may have been addressed in other threads, but I'll raise them anyway.

First, I must tell you how I ended up with the Sport. I'm a car nut with five cars. My wife and I each have winter and summer cars, and I have a '63 Buick Electra 225 four door sedan with factory air sitting in a garage, not driven, unfortunately, for a few years. I usually tire of my cars in less than three years, but I loved my SHO. My Ford dealer tried, a number of months ago, to move me to a Flex with the Ecoboost. My wife told me that she would meet be in divorce court if I bought the flex (we've been married almost 47 years), so I decided against that. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was browsing the internet and I noticed the Sport. I mentioned the idea of an Explorer to my wife and she said "that would be great." I went to the dealer, and they had a black on black fully loaded Sport that was a demo with 1100 miles. I took it for a few days, and was very, very impressed. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and the rest is history.

This vehicle is amazing. I have never had as nice a Turnpike Cruiser (sorry for the Mercury reference) in my life. The ride, although sporty, is much more supple than the SHO, and the acceleration is pretty darn close to the SHO. What's more, we can carry the grand kids with us. Yeah!

I do have some "buts". . .and they are picky. Why is it that Ford took, what I consider to be the top of the line Explorer model, and exclude some options that are only available on the Limited? While I really don't miss the automatic high beams and wipers, both of which were a pain at times, I do miss the HID headlights. Why can't one order the park assist with the Sport as well as the power folding seat? Yes, my Sport is loaded with everything except the summer tires. I love the adaptive cruise control, the only option, except for the performance package, that I didn't have on my SHO. I realize the Limited is the top luxury model, but some of us like performance with luxury. Yes, I had the massage seats in my SHO.

I have a question about fuel. I used to run 93 octane in the SHO. My middle name is MacKenzie, so you know I'm a little tight, so I ran, as I was told I could 87 octane for the first couple of weeks in the Sport. My gas mileage at around 2000 miles has been around 21. I ran the tank down almost to empty yesterday, and decided to put mid grade (89) in. It now seems to not have the same "spunk" it used to have. Does it take time for the computer to adapt, or is the Ecoboost better on 87? I would have sworn that I could feel a little bit of detonation on the 87.

Anyway, my first observations.

Glad to be a part of the forum, and I look forward to your comments.

Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum pmw0826.:wavey:
I had a 2011 Limited and loved it. It was a great vehicle. I believe Ford wants to maintain a differential between the Limited and Sport models and that is why the options are what they are. The Owner's Guide recommend 87 octane gasoline but it also says for optimum performance, premium grade is recommended. The HP and Torque figures were arrived at using premium 93 octane gasoline.
Happy motoring Phil. :biggthump

Peter

Thanks, Peter. We'll see how this tank goes.

Phil

I started putting 93 in my Sport at about 280 miles. I'm on my second tank and have averaged about 18.5mpg thus far. That's 70/30 city/highway miles. I fully expect MPG to go up to near 20 or even over once I get a few thousand on the clock as you have.

Its such a great vehicle...so far!!!

I totally agree that it is a great vehicle. I'm going to try to develop a cost/benefit analysis for using 89/91/93 over 87. If the additional cost in percentage yields a greater fuel mileage, percentage wise, then it is worth it. If not, why spend the money. Yes, I know when towing, etc., one should use premium. I used 93 for every tank of gas I purchased for my SHO, except when I could only find 91. I'm not sure that I received a benefit from it. I know I'm going to get less gas mileage on the Sport, so my rationale is that, if 87 works fine, then the extra cost to me, over a year, will be minimal over using 93 in the SHO I traded.

Phil

Higher octane fuel does not deliver more power or energy. The higher the octane number the more resistant to detonation the fuel is. You wont get better gas mileage by using a higher octane fuel. A high compression engine needs the higher octane to prevent the fuel from being compressed to the point of spontaneous ignition before the piston reaches the top of the stroke. So if you use a 87 octane in a high compression engine the fuel wants to detonate by itself without the aid of the spark plug. When this happens the piston still has upward travel left in the stroke, the fuel ignites trying to force the piston down BUT it has to travel to the end of the stroke before it can head back down. This is why detonation is harmful. An engine with higher compressions does deliver more performance but it is not from the fuel. The higher octane just allows the engine to reach its full potential.

Welcome & enjoy the truck. We've considered getting a SHO for a while but the thought of an Explorer is growing on us, especially the Sport, so I appreciate your comparison having owned a SHO. "She" has been in an Infiniti G35X for a few years, loved it compared to the old Escape, but thinks she'd like to get a little more room back.

Non-argumentative comment regarding MPG ratings & fuel used. EPA ratings were not achieved with mid or premium but rather 87 (regular unleaded) & E85 where appropriate.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2013.pdf

There is a notes section on page 6. "P" means mfg recommends Premium, "PR" means the mfg Requires Premium, so premium was used to gather the MPG and yearly costs. Explorer was tested with 87 as indicated on page 23. Canada might have their own fuel ratings process which could explain the discrepancy.

I amended my previous post by removing the statement that mileage figures were achieved using premium fuel. It is actually the HP and Torque figures that were arrived at using premium 93 octane gasoline.

Peter

What octane does the manual recommend for the Sport? Used to be turbos (like my '05 9-5 Aero) always required premium and especially with traditional fuel injectors, but not so much with direct ignition and with knock sensors and the ability to retard timing and/or dump boost.

The Owner's Guide states;

Octane Recommendations

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow.

Peter

The Owner's Guide states;

Octane Recommendations

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Does not appear to be a concern about regular octane and premium will boost performance for an extra $2 or so a tank.

I'd go with the premium not only for performance, but also for peace of mind, but some may want to save a couple hundred a year with 87.

$2.00 a tank would be a steal. See my post #6 above. It would cost me about $11.00 a tank.;)

Peter

$2.00 a tank would be a steal. See my post #6 above. It would cost me about $11.00 a tank.;)

Peter

Yeah, was tired and not thinking. In the U.S closer to $5 so I can see people sticking with 87.

I have to put 93 in my Saab, but it gets such better gas mileage it seems cheaper.

Back