• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer

newjerseycop

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
HELP! Yesterday my son drove the Explorer into a drainage ditch. It tilted toward the driver's side and water came up to driver's seat. Also car was in the water up to rear bumper. Can I salvage this car and if I can.....tell me what to do. No water in the oil that I can see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have power when you turn the key on, and have you tried to start it? I have had mine in water/mud up to the bottom of the doors with my tires spinning flinging muddy water everywhere and it didn't quit. I say let it sit for a few days to dry out and try to start it, unless someone else has more knowledge and says not to.

Your biggest concern will be drying it out.
I'd remove the seats and the carpet and make sure all the moisture dries up. The longer everything is wet the worse the problems will be with corrosion and mold.

I thank everyone for the responses. The starter clicks but does not start even when attempting to jump start it. Someone recommended letting it dry out somemore, today will be the 3rd day of drying out. I am attempting to remove the power seats, so I can remove the carpeting, but the driver's seat motor will not work or even make noise. So, I can't get to the bolts to remove the seat. Is there another way to move the seat forward so that I can to the rear bolts?

If you get a set of metric gear wrenches and a flat pry bar you can still get the seats out.
Using the gear wrench loosen both rear nuts to the point where you can still get the wrench off. Then continue to loosen the rear nuts using the prybar under the seat to lift it up. This will give you the room needed to continue to loosen the nuts and get the wrench off.

Change from power seats to manual

If, I get my explorer running again.....and if I can get the power seats out. Is it possible to change my inoperatable power seats to manual seats?
I almost forgot.....under the driver's power seat, the motor looks different than the passenger seat....actually it looks like a rectangle box or some type of module. Any ideas what this is?

You could go manual, but I'd just replace the motor. Real simple once the seat is out. To go manual, you'd have to get different seats.

Thanks again....I just sent you a long private message. Wouldn't junk yard manual seats be cheaper than a new motor for the seat? Also, his seats are so worn out....maybe it would look better. Do you know what this box is attached to the bottom of the driver's seat?

Do you know what this box is attached to the bottom of the driver's seat?

That's the driver's seat control module. Any module that was submerged will be dead now. The other of concern is the restraint control module that is beneath the center console. I'm not sure, but a dead RCM might prevent the engine from starting? Anyone know if that is true?

No water in the oil that I can see.
The starter clicks but does not start even when attempting to jump start it.
Did you remove the air filter or spark plugs first and check for water?

I put in new battery and heard a clicking sound coming from the fuse case under the hood. I couldn't locate where in the box but it was in the box. Tried jump starting the car but starter only clicks does not engage. Any ideas what to do? Didn't get the console off yet because of the one seat that is hard to get to the nuts. Someone else on the site says that there is some type of Restraint Control Module under the console that could prevent the car from starting. Anyone have another idea for me?
(If we weren't so financially broke, I would call a mechanic. But I just can't afford it.)
So all your ideas and help are very appreciated. Again...Thank you all for your advice.

The solenoid is tryin to engage the starter motor but isn't. Most likely the starter is shot. Take it to a store and have them bench test it. Just keep in mind a bench test has no load, meaning that it may engage while off the car only.

Was the fuse box submerged?

More Help

No the fuse box was not underwater nor was there any water in it when I opened it.
I finally removed all the seats, wet carpeting and console. Under the console there was this Restraint Control Module. SWSHAWAII messaged that he doesn't think the car can start because this module was underwater and is possibly ruined. I will take it out and find a junk yard somewhere here in the Orlando area. Now that the driver's seat is off, underneath is another type of module that covers the seat motor. Any idea what this could be?
When I changed out the dead battery for new one.....nothing electric would work until I also attached cables from my car. Then blower motor, radio, door locks and lights worked. There was a clicking sound from the fuse box before I attached the jumper cables. When I attempted to jump start it the starter only click, click, click. The clicking from the fuse box stopped after attempting to jump the battery.
I think you all are right that the starter is probably fried too. Where is it? I haven't worked on a car since the 1970s.......when it was easier to work on cars. I have pictures of the under seat module....which I can email to anyone to try to identify. My email is NewJerseyCop at gmail
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ATTEMPTING TO HELP US. Have a great evening.

I don't know if it was hydrolocked. No the engine did not turn over. Starter was only clicking. You were right about the Restraint Control Module being under the console. There was also some kind of module attached under the seat covering the seat motor. Do you know what it is?
Thanks

You have bigger problems than getting your seats out if you have water in your engine.

yeah, before you do much else, I would pull some plugs and turn the motor over by hand (using the crank bolt). If it won't turn over by hand, then you are out of luck.

Austin

Don't stress too much but do as they've suggested. Based on what you've said, I don't think the water got to a point where it could have entered the engine.

One More Thing

I had a mobile mechanic come to the house. He took out all the plugs, the coils and let out the water. He dried out and off everything and replaced the plugs. The battery was shot.....but he jump started it and water came out the tail pipe. Had to get new battery and new air filter. This morning it started up again....time after time that I tried it.
Now to put the carpet back and the seats. Only one problem.....the driver's seat and seat behind the driver stink bad. We peeled off the leather seat covering and the two cushions are filled with water still. I've been drying them out for over a week. The water will not squeeze out. I puncture the foam in multiple places and had them standing up on the cushion to attempt to drain out the water. Nothing seems to be coming out. Any advice or ideas???
Thank you everyone for your advice.
OH......the Restraint Control Mondule was not burned up.....car started right up. Mechanic said it does need it to start the motor. Just thought I would let you all know.
Won't know if the driver's seat motor works until it can dry out and I can install it to try.
THANKS TO EVERYONE.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is great!

As far as the seat base, do you know anyone with a vacume chamber? That will dry it out quick! If not, then set it in the sun for a couple of days.

Back