Ticking in Transmission when cold? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking in Transmission when cold?

Sock Puppet

Reaction score
City, State
High Desert
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4X4
I have a ticking sound after start-up (when cold) and I'm 90% sure it's coming from my transmission. When I first started hearing it I thought it was the rear timing chain hydraulic tensioner (worn out spring) so I replaced it. It made no difference. I've since spent some time under the rig when it does it, and with my mechanics stethoscope I strongly believe it's coming from the tranny. Everything sounds fine in the engine from front to back, but I know mechanical sound can travel in weird ways.

I would compare the sound to a lifter tap or small exhaust leak. Is there anything in the transmission that can make that sound? I know jack about auto trannies. I'm wondering if it could be the solenoid pack? The speed of the tap increases with RPM, but only up to about 1200 RPM when it goes away. It quiets down after warming up and/or driving it a little ways. When warm everything sounds quiet as could be. No shifting issues or strange behaviors. I drained the transmission oil pan, replaced the filter, and re-filled a couple of months ago. I never heard the noise before doing the filter replacement.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas? Started it yesterday when it was about 15 degrees outside and there was no tick. Same temperature this morning and the ticking was back. i'll try to get a video recording of it when I have time.

Was this the first time the trans fluid had been changed? How many miles on the trans/trans fluid?

Every trans shop I've talked to, says not to change the tranny fluid if it's never been done and you have a lot of miles.

I have no idea. I bought it in August with 118K on the clock, it now has just over 120K. It could be the original tranny...or not. It could have been changed... or not. While the fluid was a bit dirty it didn't smell burned and the pan was pretty clean; no metal shavings or debris.

I've heard it's not a good idea to flush an auto transmission at higher miles, but I've never heard one shouldn't drain and replace the filter. I've done it in the past on higher mile vehicles without issue.

I'd verify that you replaced every bit of fluid you took out. I know we can all guess based on what hit our catch pans but I've learned on these to just add a quart to what I think was the right amount. With how picky these trannys are, that is where I'd start. Add another quart and see if it takes the ticking away. Cheap/easy starting point whether it works or not.

Good idea. Might give that a shot today.

Back