• Register Today It's free!

not the typical ohv noisea

aqualawns87

Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer 4.0 ohv
Starting off its a 99 explorer, 2wd, auto, ohv. Im far to familiar with the valve chatter, ticking, marbling, chirping that these 4.0 ohv's can produce. I have a strange knocking sound almost when I put the truck in gear and have vehicle stopped. From what I can tell its coming from passenger side, sounds almost between trans and motor. If I put truck in neutral while stopped with foot ln the brake, the whole vehicle has a different feel. The suspension settles, slight vjbration running thrlugh entire truck goes away, and the motor runs as if all the stress was taken off its shoulders. When I put it in gear, truck does lurge forward alittle rough, and the knocking sound returns. Ive read several others posts with alot being close to my situation but not the same. Ive checked for vacuum leaks, I have no CEL illuminating. I recently replaced my intake gaskets with which a buddy checked vacuum and everything was good. It seems like the valve tick I had prior has gotten a little louder. Any help is great help.

try turning the overdrive off(push button on the shifter)and try again ,report back your findings .

hows the motor mounts?have you checked them?

I have a little chatter on my ohv im in to see what kind of responses you get

Back