Driving the EX in snow | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driving the EX in snow

yep, turned off traction control, tried every mode on the terrain selector, tried easing on the fule tried balls to the wall and everything in between, once the snow bunched up under the frame I was throwing snow with all 4 tires but it wasn't going forward or back.. Just don't have the clearance of my truck.

On the positive side tho, this is the deepest snow we have had since 1994 and our normal snow fall is less than 4 inches at a time so I think ill be fine. They were supposed to dig it out and I go back tomorrow to test drive it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somehow I see the dealer making lemonade out of lemons with this "snow test" by exalting the benefits of dedicated winter wheels and tires which they will happily sell you...LOL

I followed Halwg" recommendation and bought the Cooper snow tires. I switched the rims to 18 inch. They were amazing in the sub 20 degree weather. Our driveway in Brian Head is quite steep and is unpaved. It was covered with ice, mud (when it warmed) and light snow. No problems at all. I only use the snow tires about three or four weeks out of the year. Does it make sense to spend $1,100 on tires and wheels for such short use? Well, I don't have to put chains on my 20 inch wheels and original tires ( I know, they say no chains!), I did not have to call a tow to be pulled up our driveway. Most importantly, the stopping on snow/ice was simply amazing compared to the Hanook OEM tires. So in my world, they will pay for themselves in three or four years of use. Plus, the peace of mind.

Does your insurance company give a discount for using Winter tires. Mine has given me 5% of the yearly premium now for the past 5 years or so.

Peter

I've never used dedicated snow tires and wheels, but definitely can see them paying off. First, less miles on my nice summer wheels and tires. Second, no worries about blasting through icy snow that might scratch my nicer wheels. And, if you get the wheel and tire combo, you can change it yourself and save the time and cost of going to a shop.

I used to do the change over myself until they started coming out with 20" wheels and torque specs for which I don't have the proper wrench. Now I just have the dealer store them and do the work and set up the TPMS system. Much easier for me since I'm not getting any younger.;)

Peter

Our 15' Sport is a beast with her 20" Blizzak DM-V1's. Expensive but no regrets. Belle Tire has an amazing deal (been using for years) …. lifetime tire swap for free.

Our 15' Sport is a beast with her 20" Blizzak DM-V1's. Expensive but no regrets. Belle Tire has an amazing deal (been using for years) …. lifetime tire swap for free.
Does that include them setting up the TPMS system each time as well? I have the same tires but on 18" wheels that I use in place of the OEM 20"

Peter

I still stand by my assertion that the Cooper Weather-Masters are by far the best winter/snow tire I have ever run. This ice and snow we have had lately has proven their worth. I'm going to get a set for my wife's Murano since she does taxes and must get to work in any weather this time of the year.

Yes, winter tires are a bit pricey, but if you live in the snowbelt, they are well worth it.

I run blizzaks on my wife's xlt but have a set of of firestone winter force tires on our minivan. Those things are as grippy as you can get and IMO, as close to studded tires as you can get. They are so grippy that when you cruise, your stopping distance is greatly reduced. First time I ran them, I was coming up on a stop sign and let my foot of the gas as usual. They were so grippy, I almost felt like I had to accelerate to reach the stop sign. They are pretty loud but they get my vote.

I was out this morning in heavy snow and freezing rain. Nary a wheel spin.

I run blizzaks on my wife's xlt but have a set of of firestone winter force tires on our minivan. Those things are as grippy as you can get and IMO, as close to studded tires as you can get. They are so grippy that when you cruise, your stopping distance is greatly reduced. First time I ran them, I was coming up on a stop sign and let my foot of the gas as usual. They were so grippy, I almost felt like I had to accelerate to reach the stop sign. They are pretty loud but they get my vote.
I assume you are referring to the Firestones. My Blizzak DM-V1 are super quiet. I forget I even have them on.

Peter

always trade-offs with tires: I agree on the coopers..amazing tires & "studable" = very soft = super snow performance (what you were experiencing). IMHO - The price to pay is dry highway road noise …perhaps faster wear than other snows.

I assume you are referring to the Firestones. My Blizzak DM-V1 are super quiet. I forget I even have them on.

Peter

Correct. Road noise was less of an issue with a minivan loaded with 3 screaming kids. :D

The Coopers were not loud enough to drown out four 13 year old girls yelling, screaming & giggling! Can someone please recommend a louder road tire? I need relief!

Late to this thread, but I have worked pretty much every storm MA has gotten. I drive a 14 Sport to work with Blizzak tires. Then I swap in a Police Interceptor SUV with Eagle RSA all season. Obviously the Sport with winter tires is A LOT better. But I had no problem getting around the in the interceptor either. And yes that was driving through unplowed roads at times. How many inches? I don't know, but at times it was over 12". It's a lot easier to drive in that deep of snow when you don't own the vehicle and just pound on it to make it through the snow. But yes, the explorers handle snow just fine. Better with winter tires, you will survive with all season tires.

Sport in snow?

Can anyone give me some info on how the sport handles in snow... Theirs will be my first winter in my 2016 sport... Hope it handles good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like a cat... Our '13 Sport did really well on ice and snow. Nothing really deep, but extremely well nonetheless.

Have fun!

Back