• Register Today It's free!

pros and cons 4.0 vs 5.0

eckerd_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 30" XTR's
hey guys, i'm in to process of purchasing an explorer 96-00 also going to be moving across the country to florida, i've been really set on getting an all wheel drive 5.0 but i may have to settle with a 4.0 v6.
i'd like to get the 5l for the power because i'd like to have a little fun, but like i said i may have to settle for the 4l.
is there a huge difference? i might be towing a small trailer, and like i said i'm going to want to have a little fun in the desert and mud. any input wouild be great. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remember that there are two 4.0L V6s in 97+ Explorers. The SOHC V6 4.0 is a peppy six-banger, and is ready to have a little fun.

then again, I would still look for the 5.0, and if I were in FL, a nice 2wd 5.0 would be on the top of my list

More HP
More TQ
More reliable
More aftermarket support
Mated to stronger tranny

Better mpg's
Decent reliability record
Mated to weaker trannies (A4LD ~ worst, 4R ok, 5R better but still not as strong/reliable as the 4R70W behind the 5.0)

If you're planning on modding there is a huge difference. The OHV is slow, SOHC is around the 5.0 quickness, but doesn't have many aftermarket parts. The 5.0 has TONS of aftermarket parts that'll deliver better gains than parts on the SOHC.

Robb said:
Remember that there are two 4.0L V6s in 97+ Explorers. The SOHC V6 4.0 is a peppy six-banger, and is ready to have a little fun.

Yes, the SOHC is a great motor (I have it) and it has plenty of tq, passing power and decent mpg's ~ its a great inbetweener for the 4.0 ohv and the 5.0

Robb said:
then again, I would still look for the 5.0, and if I were in FL, a nice 2wd 5.0 would be on the top of my list

Robb is also biased b/c he has a 5.0 2wd and he lives in Richmond, VA where they still see snow every now and then ;)

yeah, i'm not sure exactly what year this 6 cyl is. it might be a 96, but i'm not sure. it has 68k on the ingine and it's loaded, has leather, keyless, 4wd. the thing is, i'm right out of college and don't have exactly good credit, and the 97 5.0 i was going to finance had too many miles on it for the credit union to look at. so they figured if if i could find a lower mile explorer i'd be in better shape. the dealer found one and plugged it in to the equation to see if i would be financed. so i haven't had checked it over yet. thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that the SOHC has the same power as the 5.0 in stock form.

When towing on the highway power is all that matters (HP=torque*speed)- so the point is mute here.

I've have a SOHC in my '02 3rd gen explorer for a while now and have never had to do anything to it other than a couple oil seals in 130k miles. The latter year SOHC engines are great IMO, no chain issues at all.

Back