Lumbar bladder losing air. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lumbar bladder losing air.

NMKiltman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Hello,

First time posting, I have a 94 Limited and the driver seat lumbar bladder slowly loses air after inflation. Can they be replace or it it a major chore. Any helping in directing me to diagrams would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome NMK

Not sure where to post. I have received so many helpful hints and info over the years. In the past year I have had issues with everything from lumbar bladder to A/C system rebuild. Great advice and pertinent information was found on this site for all. I learned so much and saved hundreds/thousands of dollars. THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

Picked up this info from this site...............you just need to find the correct thread....line of conversation.

Lumbar troubleshoooting

Ok, I know this is somewhat of an older thread but I thought I would give some insight into the problem here. First, the pump is usually the last thing to go. Second, is the plastic lines/hoses at the lumbar switch. The real problem is that the small plastic slide pins (2) in the lumbar switch freeze up and stay in the downward position. There are two metal connection pins inside the switch which are controlled by these plastic slide pins. If they stick down and don't come back up they cause an open circute to the pump and it stops working. To solve this, gentle pry the top cap off, then the toggle switch. Inside is a small spring that the ends sit inside the grooves of each slide pin. If those are pressed all the way down it will cause an open circuit to the pump. To solve this, place a few drops of "OIL", not lubricant (It will distort the pins) onto the slide pins and move them up and down until they move freely. Then put everything back together and test to make sure it works. I did this and it works flawlessly...

Hey RickOTR,
To perform the procedure you describe should the switch be removed from the trim or can it be done while it is installed? I just install 98 limited seats into my 01 EB and the passenger side lumbar makes noise but no movement when pressing the switch. Havent tried the drivers side yet because haven't figured out the wirring to get the heat and lumbar working, have any insight on that by chance? Anyway the toggle for the lumbar on the seat that has power seems really loose, when pressing the switch one way it makes noise when pressing the opposite I get nothing. Is that a symptom of what you described? By the way the toogle on the seat that has no power to it yet also feels loose but don' know if that lumbar even works yet for reasons stated above.

it should only make noise one direction. That is the inflate direction. When you push the other way, the switch vents air.

I suspect the little air line behind the switch is cracked. This happened to mine a while back. I removed the 2 hole rubber adapter behind the switch and replaced it with 2 pieces of vacuum tubing. Works perfect.

RickOTR,
Just wanted to let you know I did what you suggested and after I finally got the two slide pins to move and now it works. You were right they were stuck hard and all I had laying around was some sewing machine oil which was perfect since the tip on those bottles allow you to regulate the drops of oil. I knew something was wrong the way the toggle felt so loose when moved back and forth, thanks for insight and help.

My 97 did the same thing, the bag would inflate then immediately deflate. I removed the side plastic panel that encloses the switch and found that the 1/4" supply tube was partially connected. I reconnected the tube by simply pushing it back on the fitting and 2 years later have had no other problems. Take a look at the fitting and tubing, it could be the problem for both of you.

Does it inflate and then bleed off or does it not inflate at all?

One button turns on a small air pump that inflates the bladder in the seat. Other button is a pressure relief that lets air out.

Push one button and then other button (not both at same time) and listen for air pump. If pump not running, check electricalconnection on button switch. Make sure switch is working by testing with ohm meter. If switch not working, you may be able to take it apart and repair. Could be a little gummed up. If switch works, could be problem with little air pump.

If it inflates and then bleeds off, pressure relief button may be sticking or hose could be off as described above. Hose could also have a crack/cut in it somewhere. The button on mine was sticking enough to let air slowly bleed off so took it apart and cleaned it. Worked fine afterwards.

Lucky for me. My bladder deflated on trip to SF, I was stretching and pushed back into lumbar and the support disappeared. My first thoughts were burst bladder and how was I going to repair or replace. Reading the above I started with the obvious first. Picked up a a screw driver, pried at the switch casing for two seconds. The switch popped up because it was stuck. I added a couple drops of oil and that was it. Both lumbar and side bolsters work perfectly. Check switch and hoses. Almost always the issue per fellow members above. Thanks guys.

Thanks Guys. My switch is stuck in the "release" position. Will now follow the instructions above. Thanks a lot!!!!

Back