Loud Thump under 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Thump under 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer

jmazz8

Reaction score
City, State
southington, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Before moving and sometime not even in gear I hear and feel a loud thump under my truck. I can feel it on my feet so its coming from directly under the drivers side. My passenger the other day felt it too and heard it. Its loud like I just ran over an animal.
Its going into the shop today but because it doesn't happen every time I start the truck I expect them to say they can't find out the problem.
It's at 75K and has been well maintained.
Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, this has happen periodically over the past few months and the AC was not on.

2007 XLT w/89,000

Just had my sway bar links and bushings replaced. Made a loud thump that sounded like I was driving over a loose manhole cover.

The sway bar bushings were disintegrated....almost metal on metal and every time I started driving or came to a stop, I heard the noise.

Wasn't too expensive for the parts... $18 or so for each wheel.

Before moving and sometime not even in gear I hear and feel a loud thump under my truck. I can feel it on my feet so its coming from directly under the drivers side. My passenger the other day felt it too and heard it. Its loud like I just ran over an animal.
Its going into the shop today but because it doesn't happen every time I start the truck I expect them to say they can't find out the problem.
It's at 75K and has been well maintained.
Any ideas??

Any news about your Explorer, jmazz8? Let us know when you have an update. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Sounds like a bushing issue. Check the sway bar end links, upper control arm bushing, lower ball joint, steering end links.

4WD? Slip yoke?

I have a 2010 explorer EB, this also makes a loud thump when first started, I was told by ford that its the AC compressor and that it's normal. If I start the truck with the AC off it does not do it.

So far all my thuds and thunks have been broken sway bar end links.

Before moving and sometime not even in gear I hear and feel a loud thump under my truck.

I've always had the same noise / thump. Like the guy says, it only happens after i start the truck while still in Park. Its seems random. My guess it was the 4WD system engaging for a split second, sorta like a self test. But i was never 100% sure. Both trucks do it too and its a different xfr case. One is AWD on the Mounty, and Auto/Part-time on the ST.

.... guarantee it's your A/C kicking on. even if the A/C button is off, your compressor will run if the system is on defog mode. try turning all climate off and see if it stops...

Back