Thumping sound while driving

Enzo2017

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer XLT
Hello All,
Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 2007 Explorer XLT, when driving it makes a trumping sound, faster I go faster the thumps. I have replaced the brakes, both front bearings and both axles and still making the noise. It gets louder when I make turns in either direction, on a strait away the noise is there but not as loud. Any other suggestions or tips?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are your tires?

It's probably either the front driveshaft or a rear bearing. You will feel a bad rear bearing in your steering wheel although my experience says it is speed related. The fact that it gets louder in a turn would make me look at the rear bearings. How many miles? If you are around or over 100K then replace them. Pulling the knuckle can be a challenge but is fairly easy if you have mechanical ability. Then the old bearing can be pressed out and a new bearing pressed in. The parking brake is probably the hardest part.
If you want to check the front driveshaft, you can pull it out and run the vehicle and see if the noise goes away.
But, the front driveshaft isn't affected by turns so........

Sway bar linkages?

Back