• Register Today It's free!

3.5 EcoBoost Extended Idling

WhatTheFehl

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone here have experience with extended idling on their Ecoboost engine? Either in their Explorer, F150 or other Ford vehicle?

I ask because with a new job I will be starting, it is an oilfield company that is just starting out and doesn't have company pickups yet. As such at least for a while I will have to use my personal vehicle on site, meaning my Explorer. The car will double as my breakroom/office while on location, and as such the vehicle will likely experience excessive idling to provide air conditioning and heat during the shift.

I'm not really worried about fuel usage as the company will be paying for fuel. I'm just wondering about the potential carbon buildup (which I know Ecoboost engines already have a propensity for) or other damage from extensive idling.

I already run premium fuel only. I am considering switching to Amsoil for my engine oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welllll..... just think that the PPV Explorer uses the 3.7 ou 3.5 Ecoboost engine. I never heard the PPV engines with troubles from the idling. à( ok there are some minors differences, like a bigger alternator and maybe more stuff too!!)

I would incorporate some type of engine hour meter, whether it be additional gauge wired in or figuring out how to enable it in the oem cluster.

I would incorporate some type of engine hour meter, whether it be additional gauge wired in or figuring out how to enable it in the oem cluster.

They already incorporate a hour meter as part of the trip meter...

2 things I would worry about for starters.

age of current coolant in car. Yes I know it's good for 5 years or . . . . . . .

that's true of common use routine - extended idle isn't that. I'd consider flushing it if your car is over 2 years old and say 30K+ miles.

air filter - sitting in a field, where ever I assume there will be equipment moving etc - could be a dirty environment - I'd consider trading out your current air filter and or moving to either a K&N, or Green - or perhaps one of the Synethic fiber washable filters (looks like dense scotchbrite pads bounded by silocone)

otherwise - oil. I use amsoil in my performace car - and I like how it stays clean - however - if you're one of those people that changes well before the oil life monitor - use whatever oil you wish. I will say I can often get my amsoil cheaper than Mobil 1 or castrol full syn - but I'm not buying the super expensive amsoil either.

finally - dirty valve issue - I'm new here and I haven's searched but has anyone come up with a good catch can mod for the explorer? I see a few good mounting places - I have used UPR cans with great results. For those that haven't heard of a catch can - it's a trap device that captures most of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) oil vapor and keeps it out of the intake.

Why I like the UPR one - they use a 3 chanmber setup in the trap and stuff it with SS wool as wick - in a well made AL body that usually has solid bracket and easy to clean.

Does anyone here have experience with extended idling on their Ecoboost engine? Either in their Explorer, F150 or other Ford vehicle?

I ask because with a new job I will be starting, it is an oilfield company that is just starting out and doesn't have company pickups yet. As such at least for a while I will have to use my personal vehicle on site, meaning my Explorer. The car will double as my breakroom/office while on location, and as such the vehicle will likely experience excessive idling to provide air conditioning and heat during the shift.

I'm not really worried about fuel usage as the company will be paying for fuel. I'm just wondering about the potential carbon buildup (which I know Ecoboost engines already have a propensity for) or other damage from extensive idling.

I already run premium fuel only. I am considering switching to Amsoil for my engine oil.

I ran my last sample of AMSOIL Sig series 11,000 miles with some idleing. The Fuel dilution was just @ 2%

Back