• Register Today It's free!

V6 Ecoboost problem?!

dolph2709

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara Falls, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your post into the Stock 2011+ Explorer subforum.

I was in process of buying Explorer Sport (I'm just waiting for 2014 model to come out), but today I saw this on fox news. Is V6 ecoboost defective?
I probably put my buying plans on hold until further details...
Is anybody with V6 eco have similar power lost issues as described in this article?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/15/ford-owners-sue-saying-ecoboost-engine-defective/?intcmp=obinsite

It's not the problem with the engine itself. It's basically the intercoolers on the vehicle that work way too well and cause condensation inside the intake manifold. How turbocharging works is that it draws in more air, a lot of turbocharged vehicles include an intercooler to cool that air, making it more dense, thus, has more oxygen per volume so you have a greater fuel and air mixture.

The only way you're going to have a problem is if you are in very humid climates or possibly a rainy day. I heard Ford redesigned the intercoolers I think. It's not a defective engine. If you remove the intercoolers though, then you just get a drop in performance. So I think Ford has already tried to fix the issue without compromising performance.

If I were you, I'd still buy the Sport if I was in a not so humid climate.

we've never had that issue (but we're only @ 3k miles or so and in DFW area)

BUT - we have had a few storms the wife had to drive through and didn't notice anything

what are the conditions - how do you make it happen and we'll try to recreate...

I haven't had my Sport for very long but so far I have never had that issue. We average 241 days of rain in a year so most of my driving is in wet weather. I think if it was a big issue, it would be quickly apparent here on the wet coast. The only issue I have with acceleration is trying to stay under the speed limit.

The problem is when folks by a turbo charged vehicle and putt around trying to get 40mpg. All turbo vehicles with an intercooler are suseptable to condensating builidng up within the cooler. Simple solution, excellerate once a day or so like you got a pair and enjoy your twin turbo vehicle.

I haven't had my Sport for very long but so far I have never had that issue. We average 241 days of rain in a year so most of my driving is in wet weather. I think if it was a big issue, it would be quickly apparent here on the wet coast. The only issue I have with acceleration is trying to stay under the speed limit.

I can vouch for the accuracy of this statement about rain.

Its closer to 365 days a year!

The problem is when folks by a trubo charged vehicle and putt around trying to get 40mpg. All turbo vehicles with an intercooler are suseptable to condensating builidng up within the cooler. Simple solution, excellerate once a day or so like you got a pair and enjoy your twin turbo vehicle.

LOL!!! I like this resolution best...

I was researching this with how it effects the EcoBoost Interceptor Sedan and apparently the TSB fix is recommending some type of shield on the intercooler and re-programming of the BCM computer.

In one situation they replaced the intercooler.

Have not seen the actual TSB yet though.

The direct injection gas engines like in the Audi's and such (the ecoboost is similar in concept) have never had a condensation problem...

but they have had expensive to repair carbon buildup problems because the fuel never washes down the ports (reasoning behind the name direct injection)

I don't expect the ecoboost to create an issue for us until it proves itself to be problematic for others (at least I'm not worrying about it :) )

TSB Information:

3.5L GTDI—INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON TSB 12-10-19
ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID
OR DAMP CONDITIONS WITH POSSIBLE DTC

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI)EcoBoost engine may exhibit an intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise,stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds during highhumid or damp conditions. This could result in a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) primarily for misfire P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306. DTCs P0430and/or P0299 may also be present.

Ford Tech service bulletin (PDF):

http://www.bohrernationallawfi...

Examples of Owner complaints:

http://www.arfc.org/complaints...

TSB Information:

3.5L GTDI—INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON TSB 12-10-19
ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID
OR DAMP CONDITIONS WITH POSSIBLE DTC

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI)EcoBoost engine may exhibit an intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise,stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds during highhumid or damp conditions. This could result in a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) primarily for misfire P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306. DTCs P0430and/or P0299 may also be present.

Ford Tech service bulletin (PDF):

http://www.bohrernationallawfi...

Examples of Owner complaints:

http://www.arfc.org/complaints...
I can open the Owner Complaints link but the bulletin comes up "page cannot be displayed"

Peter

The first link fails for me too...

but the second worked for me and I saw no complaints for my truck nor the sport...
but did find some under 2013 explorer...

tsb listings on anything but a ford site is suspect IMHO...

I also prefer using http://www.nhtsa.gov/ for recalls (it's the 'horse's mouth') :)

Well, unfortunately I can confirm that this issue is occurring. My wife & I are were traveling from Atlanta to Charleston, SC yesterday for our anniversary. We were driving through heavy, periodic rain storms and were traveling approx. 70mph on the highway. I attempted to accelerate to pass another vehicle and our Sport suddenly shuddered, power seemed to be cut immediately, a warning tone went off and a check engine light started flashing. The scary part was that there was literally NO power and we seemed to be coasting in heavy traffic. I managed to make it to the side of the road and put it into park and shut it off. We restarted the engine and waited to see if there were any indications of further issues - thankfully everything seemed normal. We continued on our way via the navigation until we experienced the infamous SYNC lock-up. Needless to say, the combination of the two left us less than impressed with our new Sport (fewer than 3,500 miles since late Feb). To add insult to injury, we valeted the vehicle at our hotel and when they brought it around to us this morning, we now have a dent/ding on the passenger door along the lower door crease. The hotel claims they will take care of the repair, but the trifecta of events has me steaming. We'll be contacting our dealer on Monday.

Back