Windows quit working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows quit working?

Reaction score
City, State
central Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I have a '97 Explorer with about 200,000 miles. Its a canadian model and the speedo is in kilometers so... The other day I closed the windows and had the AC going. This on the interstate coming up out of Phoenix. Then the AWD and 4WD warning lights in the lower right corner of the dash started blinking. And now my windows don't work? Whatda...........?

No other problems or indications. And I was doing 65 mph on pavement! I am totally stumped. Is my brainbox losing its mind? :wtf:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check ALL the fuses? Both under the dash and under the hood.

Fuses? Why not it makes no sense anyways lol.

this happened to me the other day, the alternator was dead and the truck was slowly dying. Windows wouldn't work, then the ABS light came on, then the airbag light came on. Truck ran another 3-4 miles before everything quit!!

this happened to me the other day, the alternator was dead and the truck was slowly dying. Windows wouldn't work, then the ABS light came on, then the airbag light came on. Truck ran another 3-4 miles before everything quit!!

I'm glad to say that didn't happen to me! I drove 75 miles with lights on and AC going and no problems. Needless to say I was watching for anything to happen the whole way. Just the AWD and 4WD indicators flashing every so often. And dead windows...

I have checked the fuses under the hood- the main ones left front near the master cylinder. But I can't find any other fuse panel. I suspected it to be in the outside wall of the driver's footwell but nope. I've done a search with no help. So- is there a second fuse panel and where is it? And- is my '97 a second generation? Third?

Open driver's door, small cover on side of dashboard. You could always look in the owner's manual, ya know...

Thanks. Don't have an owner's manual. I'm surprised I didn't see it when I opened the door...

Go to fordfleet.com you download owner's manuals for free. Don't feel bad, I've had my '97 for fifteen years and still don't know where half the relays are! :) Explorers are basically like cramming ten pounds of stuff into a five pound box! Best wishes.

Yeah the vehicle size shrinks and the stuff they put into em expands. Is the '97 model a second generation? I found a blown fuse in position #30 but the illustrations I'm looking at say that is taillights and towing and should be a 15a. Mine has a 30a.

Yes 2G is 1995-2001.

Blown fuse25,26,27,?

I had a problem where my power windows, dome lights stopped working and 4 wd light flashing 6 times and it was fuse 25.26.or 27 I don't remember exactly what one I know it was a middle 20's 7.5 amp I think and it was the panel in the drivers door location. found the answer on this forum but can't remember where.

Thanks. I found a blown fuse in #27 . The chart here says 15a but the blown one was a 30a. Strangely info given here does not give windows on #27 . So I replaced the fuse and now I have windows again.

Back