Front and rear differential covers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front and rear differential covers

crabbman

Reaction score
City, State
gypsum co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
HELLO, HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING THESE COVERS OFF AS EACH ONE HAS ONE BOLT THAT CANNOT BE REACHED IF AT ALL BY TOOLS.(TOO MUCH OTHER THIS OR THAT,SUSPENSION PARTS,TUBINGS ETC.)
LOOKING FOR HELP ON HOW DOES ONE GET THESE DARN bolts out?
THANK YOU.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HELLO, HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING THESE COVERS OFF AS EACH ONE HAS ONE BOLT THAT CANNOT BE REACHED IF AT ALL BY TOOLS.(TOO MUCH OTHER THIS OR THAT,SUSPENSION PARTS,TUBINGS ETC.)
LOOKING FOR HELP ON HOW DOES ONE GET THESE DARN bolts out?
THANK YOU.

Well the rear one won't come off at all unless you pull the cv axles out and unbolt the differential from the frame completely and lower it down.

For the front, try removing the sway bar from the frame mounts to see if that helps.

Thank you Ronin. I was thinking that as wel.l welcome to world of ford.
I wonder how i am going to sleep thinking how long a repair for one lousy bolt.
Good day

Front shouldn't be a problem.

Front shouldn't be a problem.

I agree.

Broke 1 bolt on my front diff and just left it, put 60k on it since with no issues. It sucks cause they gave us 1 inch of space to work with but it should come off without taking anything else off....

Rear diff sucks. Can you just drain and fill it or are you too far into it?

Thank you blue goose. I have one year and a half before daughter leaves for college. I guess i will just drain and fill and wait for vacation time to do the big job. the rear cover leaks not so much the front.
welcome to the world of home mechanics and ford motors being jerks with there designs. Oh well it makes you a stronger man.
Cheers!

Thank you blue goose. I have one year and a half before daughter leaves for college. I guess i will just drain and fill and wait for vacation time to do the big job. the rear cover leaks not so much the front.
welcome to the world of home mechanics and ford motors being jerks with there designs. Oh well it makes you a stronger man.
Cheers!

Instead of complaining, you could trade it for a GM product: G eneral M isery!

imp

Thank you imp. guess what,my other daughter has a 2002 gmc yukon and it is waiting for me to do service after i finish the explorer.
Cant wait for the misery to start.
Superman Crabbman

Back