• Register Today It's free!

Project Weekend Warrior is a go

NWexploper

Reaction score
City, State
Gladstone, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
so, after owning my 02 X for a year, it has become time to show it some love. over the next few weeks to months it will be getting transformed into a capable weekend warrior rig. First things first is to take care of the rear end. I am considering going to 3.73 LS because I will be running larger tires on top of a 3/2.5 lift and 1.5 BL. Right now she is sitting in my driveway begging for attention and love. so stay tuned, also any info would be greatly appreciated, especially when it comes to the differentials

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing! Can't wait to see more

So tomorrow was going to order differential rebuild kits (front and rear bearing and seals) when it hit me. I will be running larger tires in addition want to make this a capable vehicle. currently running 3.55, looking into stepping up to 3.73LS or 4.10. I dont want to overload the engine or transmission. going to the junk yard this weekend to see what rear end is available

will the 4.56 fit the 8.8 3.73 or will I need to also change my carrier group?... trying to track down what other models have the 8.8 3.73... junk yard dogging it this weekend for front and rear

I believe it will fit in a 3.73 but not a 3.55. Not sure but I recall this from doing fitment checks at Summit Racing.

So during my research of the 8.8 IRS and IFS housings and groups. the 3.55 and 3.73 housing is the same but the carrier group is different. made the decision of going with 3.73 gears and limited slip for both front and back. Good news is I am putting my lift kit order tonight or tomorrow and going to try and fix my heater vent door issue. let the fun times roll. and I will be uploading some pics of the Warrior and when I start the bilds

I would at least go to 4.11 because for instance when you put 31s on 3.73 you end up back at 3.55. Lower is better if you are getting bigger tires.

thanks for the info on that. should ordering my gearing and other stuff next pay. this weekend ordered my HID headlights, yeah I know, kinda lame upgrade. also ordered my lift kit. both of with should be here in the next few days.

so here is an update. got my lift kit in the mail yesterday and should get the hids tomorrow. was going to upload some pictures but my damn phone crashed last night and wiped 630 pictures, in addition to being super slammed busy at work. but dont worry, I will keep my word and get some stuff posted up here soon. and next thursday I should be tackling the lift kit.

20151004_084423_zpscqfwcgn3.jpg

here she is in stock form

Love the new wheels! What's next?

Those wheels came with the truck when I bought it. Wasn't really a fan of them at first, now I actually like them. probably going to have the coated in matte black before having bigger tires put on. and there is no spacers on them, forget what the offset was. got the front of my X lifted on sunday, will be doing the rear tomorrow along with painting the sun faded trim and coating the wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back