So did i total my buddy's rig with a spark plug? Let's find out (warning: Cologne V6) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So did i total my buddy's rig with a spark plug? Let's find out (warning: Cologne V6)

If you decharge the a/c you can remove the entire condenser box out of your way in 30 mins. There is 2 lines and a few screws in the engine bay, 1 screw on the interior and the whole box will be out of your way and open your options up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well boys, despite my best efforts im still alive, and still workin on this blasted rube goldberg machine

yoinked the condenser box, along with the A/C accumulator, what i called a condenser earlier (cant tell my [MENTION=127576]ss[/MENTION]hole from my elbow). Condenser box had three flare nuts in the bay, and another inside, under the glovebox, just yank back the carpet and there it is.

there's another springlock radgebadgey going through the bottom of the condenser box, it's purpose uncertain to me (idiot), but i did'nt have to worry about it cuz its got a rubber line on the forward facing end that terminates in a steel line very near the radiator, so i could swing the condenser box outta the way with out having to worry about that awful rusty turd. Also had to mind the gray vacuum line that runs to the box, had enough slack to swing it.

even though i didnt really have to do it, that enormous plastic retainer popped right off with a violent bit of downward force. also, theres a single electrical connector to the back of the condenser box that can only be accessed from inside the passenger compartment.

and so here she sits:

and here's the carcass of the Demon Plug, the most poorly placed wear item ive seen

and hey, just for fun here's what i found when i took the passenger side wheel off

If you decharge the a/c you can remove the entire condenser box out of your way in 30 mins. There is 2 lines and a few screws in the engine bay, 1 screw on the interior and the whole box will be out of your way and open your options up.

here just a handful of minutes before my new post, i'll be damned straight to hell :)

and hey, just for fun here's what i found when i took the passenger side wheel off

Yep, sheared end links. Pretty common problem, actually. Search 'Energy Suspension end link' for a really excellent repair solution. :thumbsup:

That's another example of Motorcraft's POS spark plugs. The ceramic part will fly out under compression pressure if you "bump" the starter.

I STRONGLY recommend using a flute extractor, not the screw type. Walls are too thin they will "inflate" under the pressure and it could break the screw-extractor.
41FFt8JRM3L.jpg

How do I know that a screw-type is bad?
I break three plugs and at the third one I broke the extractor. That required the heads to come off. Notice the bulge and the fact that Ford OE plugs are only 1/2 threaded. Easy to install on an automated line, bad for rusting in place. Who cares, stupid owners will notice that problem long after warranty is over.

PS: My end links where the same way. Nothing that a Moog Problem Solver cannot deal with :)

Wow... That^ would be terrible, lol

Important Stuff

Thanks, ill keep all this in mind and make sure the mechanic i have do the extraction knows all this (if for some reason he doesn't already). I wont to do the extraction myself, ive never done it before and id really hate my bad luck and poor coordination ruin everything.

Also:

here just a handful of minutes before my new post, i'll be damned straight to hell :)

looks like i dont know how to read time stamps either, nice

This is the same thing I found when I took my tire off. I assume it is from one of the three towing jobs in 2 weeks I had to have or I would think Id have noticed.

This is the same thing I found when I took my tire off. I assume it is from one of the three towing jobs in 2 weeks I had to have or I would think Id have noticed.

It is very common for the OE front end links to break like that. They hold water and rust inside the plastic jacket. Most replace them with Moog Problem Solver end links, the ones with the transparent bushings are the best ones.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4202718&cc=1372429&jnid=513&jpid=18

Those are nice. I just got the basic replacment. And I only bought one. IDK why I would do that but reminds me to get another

Yep, what Koda2000 linked, that's what I got too. Replaced the pair of course.

The OE links get so rusted you have to cut them off (if they haven't fallen off all by themselves). A hacksaw will work, but a saws-all works better. The less expensive Moogs end links are okay, but the bushings tend to not last so long. Some replace the blue Moog bushings with Energy Suspension bushings, but the transparent Moog end links are the bomb!

Back in my youth, in a far far distance Galaxy I too faced a similar broken spark plug in my 1970 MB 6cly. Excess was unlimited but did not have the muscle to back out the plug with what little grip I could get on the plus with the easy out.

Hummm, well will try my longest extension (about 3ft) with the easy out and fired up my air compresser,stuck the easy out against the porcelain, stood out in the middle of the street and let it rip.

The air hammered out the outside porcelain and unscrewed the balance of the plug which I still have in my tool box.

I figure this was about 40 years ago.

Thanks for the memories .

Did you ever get this thing out?
The V6 OHV isn't really known for spark plug issues. I'm puzzled by how much trouble that one is giving you.

The V6 OHV isn't really known for spark plug issues. I'm puzzled by how much trouble that one is giving you.

His is the SOHC, but your point is well taken, not many plug issues with the V6. Must have been in there a long time...

Back in my youth (many, many years ago) you had to replace spark plugs every 10,000 miles or so. Even living in the rust belt the plugs didn't get the chance to rust. Nowadays with plug change intervals up around 100,000 miles (even more with neglect) they have plenty of time to rust and deteriorate. I'm lucky that I no longer live where they salt the roads and all but one of my family's 6 trucks have never seen salt, so I've never had a broken spark plug problem.

Over the years I've found that a fairly safe way of getting out rusted bolts and such is to use penetrant and my impact wrench. I start at the lowest setting, run it in both directions and I've rarely, if ever, broken the offending bolt. Many think that an impact wrench is all about twisting, but it's not twisting its about the shocking/hammering effect. You can hold an impact socket in your hand and run the wrench at full power and the socket doesn't even spin. Of course if the bolt head is so rusted a socket can't grab it this method wont work. There are special sockets for this purpose, but I've never had much luck with them. Thank goodness for heat, drills and heli-coils... LOL.

His is the SOHC, but your point is well taken, not many plug issues with the V6. Must have been in there a long time...

Oh yeah, messed with me cause Cologne was code name for both V6s..

Got her out tonight actually, after soaking in liquid wrench for two days and heating w/MAP gas about an hour total, and many, many nervous tries with both flute and screw type extractors of various sizes (mechanic bailed on me. smart guy actually). after some additional drilling a 13/32 screw type extractor tapped in and the bastitch came right out, with full ceramic and electrode, by some luck. i dont think ive ever spoken to anyone in my life the way i just sweet talked that extractor. now to get the bloody mess back together (INSTALLATION IS REVERSE OF REMOVAL)

Good job… Have a few beers and enjoy the victory then get her back on the road :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For posterity, here she is. I, uh.. guess I made alotta serious promises to that eazy-out i know i won't be able to keep. but ill deal with that later

Good job… Have a few beers and enjoy the victory then get her back on the road :salute:

Will do, ive already repeatedly deployed my well rehearsed Macho Man Randy Savage impersonation on anyone dumb enough to remain in earshot. Thanks for your help and advice guys, and thanks for stickin round, i know this took waaaaay too long to get done. But it's all downhill from here (knock on wood). Ill be around if anyone really wants to know the bolt positions on the condensor box (called it a heater box before. assholes and elbows) or whatever :)

Back