spark plugs changed

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I was getting a slight rough idle so decided to change my plugs 4.0 has around 130k so I figured it couldn't hurt. I did them all top side with basic hand tools, only took around 2 hours and they looked like they really needed to be replaced. I wanted to use the double platinum app5143's but nobody had them in stock so went with the single platinum ap5143's... but with the work involved to swap them I could always do them again. after swapping the 3 on the drivers side I already noticed a smoother idle so them went to the passenger side. The bottom picture go's in order from front drivers side, middle rear and front passenger, middle and rear...top picture is swapped backwards the rear passenger side plug had cracked porcelain and many of them in my opinion looked complexly horrible and were all gapped at more than .070

2zina4j.jpg

jt2rg2.jpg

They look better than mine. Although they do look rough. I replaced mine at 115000 and they were trashed. might want to consider the 02 sensors if your fuel mileage is low. It may not make a huge difference but it's worth a try. I had a about a 15% increase in fuel mileage with plugs and 02 sensors. 02 sensors aren't cheap. you need four for a 2008. May want to check out Rockauto.com (hope I'm not violating anyvendor rules).

Just replaced the plugs on my 08 4.0 as well. I had 75K on the odo but the gap on each plug was at .06 or more so not a wasted effort. I noticed that the OEM plugs did not look like they were platinum. I did not see a platinum pad on either the center electrode or ground strap. At any rate I replaced them with Autolite iridium XP plugs. Runs like a charm now. The only pain of the job was removing the alternator to change the wires on the passenger side. Ford routed the wires through a 90 degree plastic holder that cant be removed unless the alt is removed. Took 2 1/2 hrs but well worth it and I'm glad I wont have to takle it again for 100K miles.

I cant complain about my mpg.. the dash usually sits at 19 mpg summer 16 mpg winter
ive priced out o2 sensors before and ebay was like $15 each but I dont change o2 sensors way too much involved for me to ever care.....plus obdII says im A/F 14.2

Back