• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug

polizi212

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast Ohio.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
So I am going to replace the Spark plugs in my 2008 Explorer 4.0 v6 but my question is do I go with a double platinum or just stick with the Motorcraft Sp412 stock type plug. I am just learning this engine and I hope some of you can shed so insight. Are the double platinum better or just cost more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, I agree with the Autolite Iridiums. I ran them in my last Explorer, and have in my current one too, for over 60k miles.

In 08 Ford switched to the nickel plugs on the V6, but prior to that it came from the factory with two different platinum plugs depending on if it was cylinder 1-3 or 4-6. The replacement plugs were double platinums but has been changed to the newer nickel plugs because of the waste spark system that the 4.0 uses.

Flag Gibby, Good information. Would the nickel plugs work well on an '06 too, and who makes them...Motorcraft, Autolite?

I just did mine 2 weeks ago bought them motorcraft for likeb4 bucks each from buy wise

The motorcraft Sp412 are only 3.09 each at my local advance auto. I think I will stick to those since I am not driving this thing hard at all!

Flag Gibby, Good information. Would the nickel plugs work well on an '06 too, and who makes them...Motorcraft, Autolite?

I ran the nickel plugs (Motorcraft SP 412) for a bit as a replacement for the factory platinums that I burned up with too lean of a mixture and had no issues with them (part of troubleshooting a mid RPM engine issue). I ended up going with NGK double platinums all the way around so that I didn't have to keep an eye on the spark plug gap and not have to replace them anytime soon, plus it was only $2 more for the NGK's over the motorcraft SP 412.

I ran the nickel plugs (Motorcraft SP 412) for a bit as a replacement for the factory platinums that I burned up with too lean of a mixture and had no issues with them (part of troubleshooting a mid RPM engine issue). I ended up going with NGK double platinums all the way around so that I didn't have to keep an eye on the spark plug gap and not have to replace them anytime soon, plus it was only $2 more for the NGK's over the motorcraft SP 412.

Which NGK plugs did you use???

NGK plug PTR5F-11 laser platinum.

I opted for the NGK TR55-1GP G power plugs! My old Motorcraft plugs were very worn, The electrodes were rounded off. At 97000 miles It was time they came out. from what I can figure these are the stock plugs and I have no reason to believe they had been changed ever, Well till tonight! On my little test drive it seemed a little more peppy and a tad bit more responsive. Now I will drive it for a few days and see if I can up my gas mileage a bit as well!

The rounding is normal since the nickel actually burns off over time and that is why the spark plug gap changes. However, it sounds like you got all of the intended mileage out of the factory plugs and some.

Back