Stock radio display was dim, now nothing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock radio display was dim, now nothing

mikeh1

Reaction score
City, State
Van Nuys, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLS 2WD 4.0 L
Greetings all

Just upgraded to a 2006 XLT from a 1997 Sport 5spd, love the new ride, don't miss the 5 speed at all! It just turned 90K miles, got lucky with this one, one owner in 9 years took very good care of it. Had to replace a cracked ABS tone ring on the right rear brakes about a month ago, can't wait for the other 3 to follow.

When I first got it, the radio display was dim, but I was able to program some radio stations before it died completely. Is there a fuse or maybe a loose wire I could check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Phantom strikes again! I had the exact same problem and the linked repair restored my stock radio to "like new!" It's a very quick and easy fix. Try it.

Mine is a bit different. I was able to pry up the trim surrounding the radio, didn't see any Torx screws. I did find 4 8mm bolts, 2 on each side of the radio, which I removed. The whole radio seemed to move, but it wouldn't fit past the trim.

I was able to get the display working by pressing down on it as suggested. Thanks for that.

Also, you have to worry about just 1 more tone ring. There are only 2 in the rear. The front sensors are integrated into hub/bearing assemblies.

and what if the buttons dimm? anyone?

Wanted to let you all know, I just tried the fix from the link to FTE (adding solder to the resistors) - worked out just fine.

Back