• Register Today It's free!

OEM radio to OEM radio

Footer27

Reaction score
City, State
Evanston, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer xls
Have a 2006 xls, having display issues with the OEM radio. Am/fm is fine , just can’t see anything . Was able to find some info online and re-soldered some missing points on the main board and got it back up, but now back to faintly visible. So went looking for another OEM and found one on Mercari. After return period expired I located - my bad- info that radio came out of F250 super duty (with steering wheel controls if that matters). Both harness attachments from my xls popped right in. The antenna needed the adapter, so got that. The issue; new radio powers up nicely, display looks like new, single cd works, can run bluetooth adapter off my iphone, am works but fm is faint at highest level. Tried a new antenna- not running it under the dash -but just loose out the window for testing purposes. No changes. Checked fuses, nothing blown. I thought it would be plug and play, but apparently I'm missing something. Incompatible? Am I missing something, any thoughts?

ONLY on FM, eh? Have you tried cleaning the switches with DeOxit or a similar electronic corrosion cleaner from behind the faceplate?

Back