How I found and fixed the Door Ajar light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How I found and fixed the Door Ajar light

Quxote

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
After searching many many sites and this forum to find out why my door ajar light stays on, I finally decided to tear into the job.

I read here and all over to try the WD-40 trick, spraying the latches with WD-40 to get the switch working. Unfortunately that did not work for me.

I also read how to find which door has the problem by opening each door with the key in the on position, the door that DOESN'T make a chime is the problem door. (The drivers door makes a different sound ,incase you didnt' know because I didnt either)

So I did all that and found the problem was with the rear liftgate/glass.

Here is what I didn't know, there are 3 door ajar switches in the rear, 1 one each side of the tailgate and one for the glass. If any of these are a problem the door ajar light stays on. This is where the work began...finding which one was the issue.

How do you find which one?

Here is the thing I didn't read ANYWHERE when searching. If you have a rear wiper AND it does NOT work, the problem is the GLASS switch. The rear glass switch is different because it deactivates the rear wipers when the glass is open.

That little piece of information would have saved me about 2 hours of removing the liftgate latches.

After removing the door skin, this is what the rear glass door switch looks like
100_1848a.jpg

To remove the switch just unplug the harness and remove the one screw holding it in. This is what it looks like when you remove it
100_1847.jpg

This is the switch totally removed.
100_1846.jpg

For me the switch was totally bad. Even though the pin at the top moved in and out freely the door ajar light stayed on. I replaced the switch and boom, the door ajar light went out and the rear wiper started working.

If you unplug the switch it will also make the door ajar light go out and make the wiper work, however if you decide not to replace the switch, you must remember to turn of the rear wiper before opening the glass.

I hoped this helps someone else, because I found this site really helpful to me.

Quxote

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...This should help a lot of people...:biggthump

...I really like how you investigated and added the other helpful info too...:salute:

Thanks Tbars4 I appreciate the salute :)

Good job Quxote.

The door switches aren't that easy to change, lol....

Great explanation, I have this problem. Only other thing is I really don't know how to access it, not sure how to take the "skin" off. Is this too complicated for an amateur like me?

I'm assuming that it pops off with the capped buttons I noticed, but I don't want to break something in the process...

another dumb question (after all I am a wannabe), I'm assuming these switches are on the tailgate, I called Galpin Ford here in Van Nuys and they insist the switches are somewhere in the front of the vehicle.

thanks for your time...

Awesome post quxote, ready to tear into my truck tommorow. Thanks

Door ajar

I have the same problem on a 1999 Lincoln Continental door ajar light is on and the interior light is on but doors are close where is the switch at ? if inside the door how do I take the panel off.

You are a honest to god life saver, this problem came before me and I was about to pull my hair out because m kids give me only 5 sec intervals to work on things like this, that was I wish I found this before I had blown apart my liftgate door and my driver door thinkin that was the issue thanks again

I found this thread and it is somewhat posting me in the right direction my situation,,, 1997 ford explorer, door ajar light on, interior lights won't go out. Is it in the sensors, the two that are on the left/right when you open the back door, also my back window won't close tight, and I was experiencing an issue with the back wiper sometimes not responding, are these issues related. I noticed the relay box up front right side of engine... any thoughts on this?

What are the lights called in the two front doors of a 96 XLT?

I cannot find the name for them anywhere or any thread on this website for them?

What are the lights called in the two front doors of a 96 XLT?

I cannot find the name for them anywhere or any thread on this website for them?

Not sure on the name, maybe puddle lights? but what I can tell you they take a 194 Bulb, if that is what you are looking for.

Is it a twist and pull globe? Because I cannot get them out?

After searching many many sites and this forum to find out why my door ajar light stays on, I finally decided to tear into the job.

I read here and all over to try the WD-40 trick, spraying the latches with WD-40 to get the switch working. Unfortunately that did not work for me.

I also read how to find which door has the problem by opening each door with the key in the on position, the door that DOESN'T make a chime is the problem door. (The drivers door makes a different sound ,incase you didnt' know because I didnt either)

So I did all that and found the problem was with the rear liftgate/glass.

Here is what I didn't know, there are 3 door ajar switches in the rear, 1 one each side of the tailgate and one for the glass. If any of these are a problem the door ajar light stays on. This is where the work began...finding which one was the issue.

How do you find which one?

Here is the thing I didn't read ANYWHERE when searching. If you have a rear wiper AND it does NOT work, the problem is the GLASS switch. The rear glass switch is different because it deactivates the rear wipers when the glass is open.

That little piece of information would have saved me about 2 hours of removing the liftgate latches.

After removing the door skin, this is what the rear glass door switch looks like
100_1848a.jpg

To remove the switch just unplug the harness and remove the one screw holding it in. This is what it looks like when you remove it
100_1847.jpg

This is the switch totally removed.
100_1846.jpg

For me the switch was totally bad. Even though the pin at the top moved in and out freely the door ajar light stayed on. I replaced the switch and boom, the door ajar light went out and the rear wiper started working.

If you unplug the switch it will also make the door ajar light go out and make the wiper work, however if you decide not to replace the switch, you must remember to turn of the rear wiper before opening the glass.

I hoped this helps someone else, because I found this site really helpful to me.

Quxote
You are a godsend! It is 28° here and the door ajar was keeping my dome light on and killing my battery. On your advice I tested each of the doors. They all chimed. THEN ..... I tried the rear wiper. IT DIDN'T WORK! I took off the trim and disconnected the switch and now the door ajar light is off and my dome light goes off. I still have to replace the rear glass switch but it would have taken me a long, long time to stumble upon this problem. Thank you so much for sharing this information. I owe you a case of your favorite beer.

You are a godsend! It is 28° here and the door ajar was keeping my dome light on and killing my battery. On your advice I tested each of the doors. They all chimed. THEN ..... I tried the rear wiper. IT DIDN'T WORK! I took off the trim and disconnected the switch and now the door ajar light is off and my dome light goes off. I still have to replace the rear glass switch but it would have taken me a long, long time to stumble upon this problem. Thank you so much for sharing this information. I owe you a case of your favorite beer.

Back