Thought I'd post up and say, "Hello!" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thought I'd post up and say, "Hello!"

mister steel

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 X XLT
Hey all,

I've been browsing this forum since I had my Bronco II back in 2009. Had lots of help from lifeguard379 repairing / building her up. Unfortunately, old Red had to go so I could afford college.

Flash forward to 2017: After working for about six months, I watched Craigslist for my next rig. For a sweet price of $700, I found a beautiful green 1992 XLT.

There were the standard problems you would find on a 25 year old vehicle (radius arms, brake lines, hoses, water pump etc etc), but the A4LD was in great condition. I fixed her up and drove it from Sacramento to San Diego, no problem!

So far, all I have done are complete repairs, maintenance, and a fresh color matched leather wrap on the steering wheel (had to get rid of the goop). I actually followed a tutorial for leather wrapped wheels from this website.

Next steps will be real mods. I have a 4" lift kit in the garage waiting to be installed. Looking at 4.88's and 35's in the future. Would love to go for the 5.0, but it will be hard to justify until the 4.0 wears out. Besides, the 4 liter is a TORQUE monster. The combustion chambers are a solid .666 liters each (4.0/6) \m/

Fresh and clean
IMG_0621.jpg

New skin
IMG_0761.jpg

Old gal (never actually finished with the 33's before I had to get rid of her, cruised with Dunlop Mud Rover 30's and never got stuck)
iPhone%20pics%20032.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer looks to be in great shape. :chug:

Check out our Offroad Runs forum. We're having a run at Truck Haven, which is next to Salton City, at the end of October.

Looks like a great $700 find!

Welcome to the site.:)

Thanks guys. How's the offroading in Salton City? Is it off-road to a campsite or just off road?

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun in the desert

Back