In-Channel Window Deflector or Outside? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In-Channel Window Deflector or Outside?

dajoes90

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
Hi everyone,

I want to get some window deflectors for my Ex but I have a question regarding if using the ones that go inside the window channel or better to use the ones you stick on the outside, what is your opinion and experience about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't say which is better but I have had inside the channel on my Ex for 12 years and never a problem..

if you live in harsh climate the one on the outside will not stick that much longer, the double sided tape will eventually fall off. It will take years though for it to happen and putting it back is also easy.

I have the WeatherTech visors, which go in the window channel, and they've been great as long as I've had them (3 years). Once they're in there, they are quite snug and won't shift or slip out of the channel. If you need to remove them, they will come out with slight pulling but they do stay in place otherwise.

+2 WeatherTech. IMO, best build quality, fit, and warranty with great customer service. They are also made in Germany. I've used AVS and EGR in channels before, and neither came close to WT. EGR's acrylic shrank after three years, and would not fit tight inside the window channels. Contacted EGR and was emailed, "those were discontinued for the Sport Trac, sorry." For the front visors, and like some other brands, to eliminate mounting tape you must rest the forward part of the deflector on the outer door weatherstrip next to the mirror. See short instruction video in link. Pricing is higher than other brands, but worth it. Amazon and eBay usually have much better deals than local auto parts stores, price around.

2004 Ford Explorer | Rain Guards - Side Window Deflectors for Cars Trucks SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech.com

Pic of the REAR Sport Trac deflectors for a profile comparison. WeatherTech left, EGR right. Front may not be as dramatic.

Op3fOXQ.jpg

I have Wade in channel visors on all 4 doors. Make sure you clean the channel really well before you put them in. My rear windows seem to stick more and need help going down in colder weather. I feel the in channel gives more protection that stick on, which my step dad has on one of his Equinox's.

Back