Weird noise coming from right front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird noise coming from right front

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 FWD Explorer Limited
Hello. New to the forum. I hope I can contribute and offer help to others if they ask the right questions. For now, though -

I've got a weird noise coming front my right front that is intermittent and, of course, I can't replicate it when I have a chance to look closer. When I am coming to a stop from about 5 mph to 0 mph, there is a "row-row-row" noise that slows as the car slows. There's almost a ratcheting/gear sound with it. It doesn't seem to matter if I am on the brake or not. I can't hear the noise at anytime otherwise, and it only happens after the car has been running a while.

It's not the strut bearings. I've already been through that. I have changed all the brakes, front and rear, and there's no change. It just doesn't feel like a brake problem because this isn't affecting the way it's driving and the car isn't pulling in either direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check to ensure the CV boot(s) aren't torn or leaking?

I nosed around a bit. I have to admit... Though I have been working on vehicles for 25 years, I have very little experience with FWD components. I suspect a CV joint might be the next thing to look at. I did check to make sure everything spun freely in neutral. I will check closer tonight.

Intermittent stuff is such a pain.

Maybe wheel bearing?
Or possibly the tire? Have you tried rotating the tires?

I nosed around a bit. I have to admit... Though I have been working on vehicles for 25 years, I have very little experience with FWD components. I suspect a CV joint might be the next thing to look at. I did check to make sure everything spun freely in neutral. I will check closer tonight.

Intermittent stuff is such a pain.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Agree 100% on the intermittent statement.

Peter

I've rotated the tires a couple times with no change. The tires are bit noisy, but this doesn't feel like a tire issue, especially with it being inconsistent.

One thing I have discovered is that driving in reverse seems to reset whatever it is, temporarily. Anytime I've tried to make it make the noise in the driveway or parking lot, it stops after I back up and try it again. It's quite frustrating.

Have you checked the brakes? Maybe they aren't releasing correctly and when you put it in reverse it pushes them back a little.

Seen similar issues with a caliper with a seized slide pin

Did you resurface your rotors when you changed your brake pads? The rust ridges on the inner and outer part of the rotors will cause this

Back