• Register Today It's free!

Adding HD Radio

treamer

Reaction score
City, State
Lake St Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer
I just purchased a New 2018 Explorer XLT with XLT tech feature Bundle. I found out that it does not include a HD radio. Do I need to spend $500.00 to purchase a new ACM our can I use FORSCAN to change a module ?

Thanks

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased a New 2018 Explorer XLT with XLT tech feature Bundle. I found out that it does not include a HD radio. Do I need to spend $500.00 to purchase a new ACM our can I use FORSCAN to change a module ?

Thanks

Tom
Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
Unfortunately I am not able to answer your question but I'm sure someone will. Do you still have the 2015 Explorer? If not, please update your profile (2018 XLT) or add it to a signature if you have both. Thanks.

Peter

You'll need an HD ACM and Forscan to modify some settings with your car. I added an HD radio to my 17' and got it off eBay for about $80. It came out of a 16' model Taurus.

I found that an ACM out of a 11' - 15' Explorer / Taurus will bolt and plug up. However, the CD slot of the ACM will not line up correctly with the slot in the faceplate around the 16'+ Explorers. Everything else will work, but the CD won't make it into the ACM. If you don't need the CD function, you could possible pick up an older ACM even cheaper. If you need the CD function, look for a 16'+ ACM.

When on eBay, try to find an ACM that has a picture of the big label on the back of the unit. An easy way to tell if it's an HD unit is to look under the barcode for the SDARS EIN #. In this space, it will have some fine print talking about the HD copyright, etc. On a non HD ACM, this space is just blank. This will be right above the "Made in China" Clarion info.

I'm sure there is a way to figure out what Ford part numbers are HD or not, but I didn't spend that much time on it to figure it out.

Thank you very much. One more question were can I find the settings for the ForscaN, i ALREADY HAVE THEelm327

My Explorer Have Premiun Sound Sync 2.. HD Radio Is Optional Anyway?

My Explorer Have Premiun Sound Sync 2.. HD Radio Is Optional Anyway?
According to the Explorer Manuals, HD radio only became available starting with the 2013 models.

Peter

I’m looking to do the same. I currently have Sirius and navigation. Does adding he remove those ?

HD Radio is only available on the Limited and above models. I was disappointed when I picked up my 2018 XLT and found out it did not have it. I found a site were I get one but I think $500.00 is a little high. Just hoping I could do something with the FORSCAN program

I believe as long as you get an acm that has hd then you can program with forscan. My only question is, will I still have Sirius option and does it mess with navigation? These two I already have and don’t want to lose!

I’m looking to add hd radio to my 2015 Explorer xlt that currently has nav and Sirius. I bought a used acm that has hd radio but I am hoping someone could guide me on how to go about using forscan to make the switch. From reading I believe I have to backup what I have before swapping and then make some line changes. Any help would be appreciated!

You can have Sirius, nav and HD all together, no problem. Add the HD ACM and edit some code. I sent a PM your way.

i just picked up a Sirius/hd acm for my 16 piu. any chance anyone wants to share the codes to change with forscan?

Back