Ford quoted maintenance, not sure they’re right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford quoted maintenance, not sure they’re right

Shane.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
So the last time the explorer was at the dealers they came back with a list of maintenance that was due. However after reading up on here I’m not sure that’s the case. List was:
-Spark plugs
-Coolant flush
-Transmission service

The car is sat around 127K 2012 limited
The plugs I agree with but from what I read the transmission isn’t due until 150k and coolant is more like 200k is that correct?

I’d have a friend do the work not the dealer anyway but would like to know what we need to do and what they’re trying to rip me off on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were you, I'd be doing all of that.

Spark plugs are probably done or near done, coolant flush is good to do with your years and mileage at this point (should at least be tested), transmission fluid is also probably at end of life span--I'd have changed it no later than 100k at most myself.

Ah ok, is the transmission fluid/filter difficult I read somewhere it’s a pain to do because it’s a sealed unit

I would get it all done at that mileage.
I personally don't know why anyone changes the transmission filter, the large flat style used in most vehicles that rests at the bottom of the pan is usually big enough to never load up on debris as opposed to the inline style. If enough debris was to clog up the large filter I'm sure the vehicle would be barely moving at that point since internal parts of the transmission have worn out :eek:

I agree with above. I change my plugs at 75,000 miles no mater what the book says. (or 3/4 qtr life) The coolant I test twice a year and change when required. To test use a voltmeter to see if galvanic corrosion has started in the engine. Then I test to see if the level of coolant is acceptable for this area of the country. I have not changed the tranny fluid in a newer EX, but when I hit 75,000 miles on this one I will. I also clean the Throttle Body, MAF, PVC lines etc once a year (Spring time). I have taken many Ford engines well over 300,000 miles with this maintenance.

The 2006 Hemi Dodge engine didn't make 60,000 so I can not say about it.

Plug replacement varies - if your engine is running optimally and doesn't spend a lot of time idling unnecessarily, the "speshul" platinum/iridium plugs can go well in excess of 100K miles - they just need to be checked periodically. If you have no abnormal operation/misfires, you can leave them and see how long they will last.

For coolant, 50K miles or 5 years is the longest I go before changing.

6FXX trannys are not technically "sealed units" as they do have fill/drain/check plugs, but the filter is not serviceable unless you remove the trans and crack the case. I do drain/refills every 40-50K miles max (a little earlier if I tow with the vehicle).

Other things to consider changing are brake fluid and, if AWD, the PTU/diff fluid.

I'm about to change plugs and cool packs for the first time in my EX. Any suggestions of other maintenance or checks I should do while I have the Plenum off? I also plan to clean the throttle body. What does everyone use to clean that? Thanks Everyone, these forums are a lifesaver for amateurs like me.

Not familiar with "cool packs".:dunno: Haven't seen that term used here. Vehicle mileage?

Peter

I'm about to change plugs and cool packs for the first time in my EX. Any suggestions of other maintenance or checks I should do while I have the Plenum off? I also plan to clean the throttle body. What does everyone use to clean that? Thanks Everyone, these forums are a lifesaver for amateurs like me.

I use CRC throttle body cleaner or a good brand of TB cleaner. For the most part I do a good cleaning of the engine itself, then the air intakes etc. I wipe them down clean as needed. I also clean the MAF sensor the IAT sensor etc. Just be carful not to brake the little sensors, I use the CRC MAF IAT sensor cleaner for those electrical parts.

I take my time and start out
1 Use old paint brush or other brush to sweep up the dust and other stuff
2 Vacuum use a shop vac to vacuum the engine bay air box under windshield trim
3 Use a good engine cleaner to foam the engine bay let it sit then wash it off be sure to cover any electronics
4 Start engine and warm it up to dry it or use an electric blower to dry it and get rid of puddles
5 Clean the MAF TB and IAT sensors I might use an acid brush with the tips cut off or an old tooth brush

I use Jax Wax Shine all to spray down all the plastic and give it a nice clean look

Reassemble it. I do this once a year in the spring unless I am on the farm for a few weeks then I do it when I get home.

Back